Apple Music High Res

Haha 2G phones next to speakers. Those were the good ol days :grinning:

My fault!

Back on course

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I bought a Reclining sofa with a USB port, and a wireless charger in the Center console!!! :joy:

Sounds cool. Does the recliner connect directly to the DAC?

2 Likes

This is very interesting. I am a health professional and I teach auditory anatomy and physiology classes for audiologists. The other day I was fantasizing about something like this for presbycusis and otosclerosis patients. If there is a way to compensate for frequency perception loss for these patients, this is very good news indeed.

It works. Iā€™m 59, and although Iā€™m in the normal spectrum, I obviously donā€™t perceive higher frequencies as well as younger people. What you make of the actual sound being produced by the calibrated earpods, well here mileage may vary. Some pieces I like re-tuned in that way; with others Iā€™m not so sure. But the effect is always clearly audible and quite spectacular.

1 Like

Iā€™m just glad Apple Music has lossless now and I can enjoy the music that has been missing from both Tidal and Qobuz. It wouldā€™ve been better if they integrate with Roon but we canā€™t have it all right?

3 Likes

Oh, another thing to add ā€¦ Apple really needs to fix the white noise glitch though. :smiley: :smile:

TBH I have not found anything I want to listen to that is missing from Tidal, so Iā€™d really be grateful to see this big list of stuff that is on Apple that is not on Tidal. Thanks.

1 Like

I donā€™t have any of it with my RME ADI-2.

I do get it with my Chord Hugo2.

Iā€™d say itā€™s a USB interface issue, not Apple Music issue.

Which DAC has these issues for you?

thatā€™s interesting, now Iā€™m curious if you get it with Bluetooth earphones or not. I use both iFi and schiit

I use with bluetooth earphones too (when away from home) and never had any white noise.

These messages are still ringing in the ears of some today:

https://www.cnet.com/news/drakes-views-from-the-six-exclusively-rolls-out-on-apple-music-itunes/

Learning the lie with comment ā€œAll I know is, Frank Ocean managed to pull off the heist of the yearā€

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/pharrell-williams-says-freedom-to-be-apple-music-exclusive

Competitors used to want to distinguish themselves with this, but this attempt has collapsed in the music market. We can see how Frank Ocean feels about it today with the other releases that were no longer exclusive. This has outlived its usefulness with a few fringe releases.

All have a similar catalog and similar features at a similar price.

In order not to lose even more in services (TV, Musicā€¦) currently, Apple is now making the price breaker or longer-term free offers even in the HiFi area. The technology still has to be developed, and that is once again the crux of the matter. Being the first may still succeed with great restrictions, but being permanently and exclusively in front no longer succeeds.

Apple Music wanted to conquer the largest part of the paying users with exclusive products. In the closed iTunes system, however, 90 to 95% of the customers were lost. Nothing went in the web browser, Androidā€¦everything took far too long after each announcement in marketing.

As an artist you get to do a lot, you can insist on only producing vinyl, you can argue for or against streaming, and you can sign exclusive contracts, but everyone had a learning curve here. Thatā€™s largely died out, in the interest of artist and customer freedom. Thatā€™s the situation today:

Almost everything is everywhere :heart_eyes:

The free sample gives us a further taste and boosts business.

Maybe true for those in the US but for us in Australia, that is not the case. I can only listen to Dave Matthews Band albums from either Apple Music or Spotify, so frustrating.

try this Link:

or this:

https://music.amazon.de/artists/B001RBK7I6/dave-matthews-band

Thereā€™s all sorts of weird ones that Apple Music has that Qobuz does not. I just found one last night. Eva Cassidy and Chuck Brown ā€œThe Other Sideā€

Sheldon

2 Likes

There are certainly big regional differences in Tidalā€™s library (and I think with Qobuz also). Iā€™d be interested to know if that is also the case with Apple Music.

Somewhat agree, I too have an iPad which I use for Apple Music Hi-Res and is hardwired and connected to my hifi in a fix position. It did help me appriciate listing to a complete album again, for ā€œcasual listeningā€ I use lossless over airplay 2 across multiple systems and speakers through the house using my iPhone. But for the hi-res files I started sitting down again.

And for the albums that are not on AM ā€¦ thereā€™s always Roon; which does mean I use that far less as before

1 Like

This is true, but applies in both / all directions. We could open a thread where we post the obscure not everywhere available titles, There is something to be found in every music service. Sometimes the providers just interpret the license terms differently because itā€™s so complicated:

Youā€™ve changed

INgrooves (on behalf of CBD Music); PEDL, Warner Chappell, LatinAutorPerf, Peermusic, CMRRA, LatinAutor - PeerMusic, UMPG Publishing, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM and 6 musical collecting societies

You donā€™t know what love is

INgrooves (on behalf of CBD Music); Wixen Music Publishing, Inc, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM, LatinAutor - UMPG, UMPG Publishing, LatinAutorPerf, CMRRA and 3 musical collecting societies.

Fever:

INgrooves (on behalf of CBD Music); MINT_BMG, Audiam (Publishing), LatinAutor - PeerMusic, LatinAutor - Warner Chappell, Abramus Digital, ARESA, BMI - Broadcast Music Inc., Exploration Group (Music Publishing), LatinAutorPerf, CMRRA, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA - UBEM and 8 musical collecting societies

Which view is correct here in each individual case can only be clarified by lawyers, but from this, unfortunately, the artists have no higher income on Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify, Deezer and whether Apple is legally correct not only sells the whole album, but also streams it would have to be checked.

Songlink distinguishes between rights to the album and those to individual songs, which may only be selectively available.

In fact, in these rare cases you will only find ā€œNot availableā€

Looking further reveals more:

Doesnā€™t help if itā€™s gray unlicensed music, though.

Doesnā€™t stop some from trying after all:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+Eva+Cassidy+%26+Chuck+Brown

Ingrooves is a global music distribution company that provides marketing and rights management services for independent labels and artists in the Universal Music Group. So we should assume that every major and well-known service has a license through UMG. Thatā€™s why itā€™s shown that way in the songlink. But in fact, some providers have decided not to strain the complicated legal situation and prefer to grey it out in the war for valid licenses (purchase only and no rent). If Chuck Brown or Eva Cassidy only want to be streamed at Apple Music, you could claim it, in fact both are streamed everywhere and here surely only the lawyers are speaking again, making it harder than necessary for us customers and also the artists.

So sad after todays Apple Unleashed event. They made a big deal about music with nothing new other than new colours for their mini speakers and a cheaper AM subscription restricted to voice control.

I really hoped they were going to support streaming AM lossless to home hifi audio systems. Release some kind of API for developers like Roon to work with, or even their own streamer. Zane Lowe was there, surrounded by high-end speakers he canā€™t stream AM lossless to. They just need to release an Apple streaming device or at least let us plug our iPads into our DACs and select the music from our iPhones. Disappointed.

I so want Apple Music and Roon integration so I can drop Tidal.

6 Likes

Not sure why you should be surprised. Apple couldnā€™t give a flying f**k about people who actually want to listen to music other than through a phone and their crappy ear phones. Apple and Roon is a thing that is never, ever going to happen. At some point, hopefully, Apple will burn out and something else will take over. And we have a load of Apple devices in our house.

8 Likes