Apple Music High Res

sure about the museum? :sweat_smile: Apple II Floppy Drive Music Project - YouTube Jump to 3:55 :hugs:

1 Like

Yeah. Like it.

Know that?

4 Likes

He must have worse insomnia than meā€¦

4 Likes

Same here. Except I have the slightly faster 1.42 GHz model and Iā€™ve upgraded the RAM to the max of 1 gb myself :smiley: Last time I checked it still works.

2 Likes

I understand! It has to be a Mac :hugs: How about this little one? :sweat_smile: 1/3 Scale Mac Plus with Sound - YouTube

@Bernd_Kurte

1 Like

Excellent!

I just retired a 2009 iMac and could have it feeding the DAC while the 27ā€œ screen shows the current title. Maybe tough to fit this in the living room.

1 Like

Myself pretty fine with the found setups. Anyway if someone still searching for ways :slight_smile: maybe this thread here is interesting for you too. Using Roon radiofeature for input. Can a local server stream FLAC to Roon?

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the music :slight_smile:

This Friday Audiophile Style started to dig into Atmos: My Journey Into Atmos / Multichannel Music Has Begun - Atmos for Audiophiles - Audiophile Style

Your ADI-2 gets a down- and upsampled stream. The only thing it ā€œproofedā€ is the upsampling capability of the Mac. The ADI-2 doesnā€™t care what has been done with the data stream before! It only shows what it currently looks like. :wink:

I donā€™t think you understand the idea of bit perfect test files provided by RME

:wink:

Thereā€™s only a handful of DAC manufacturers providing such, that Iā€™m aware ofā€¦ Once you understand what Iā€™m talking about there, you will realise your post doesnā€™t make any sense.

So far the only people to comment about my procedure are people without the gear to actually properly reproduce this.

1 Like

It seems even RME advertises a ā€œgimmickā€ which definitely canā€™t show what it claims to show/proof:

And the end of this thread there is no reply which explains the following behavior:
ā€œIf I run the bit Test with 32bit files, the display shows: ā€œBit Test 24 Bit passedā€ā€
So ADI-2 says a test was successful but only to show how it fails. The ADI-2 should have said ā€œnot bit perfectā€. I guess, the ā€œgimmickā€ is not able to show, what you are thinking it does.

32 bit test file - only 24 bits passed. Iā€™ve been able to reproduce this years ago, so that is not breaking news to me.

RME are very clear that only a handful of software successfully pass the 32 bit test fileā€¦ again, not breaking news.

In my case testing Airplay (iPad to macOS) I only tested 24/192 - and it passedā€¦

Your comment about proving something about downloading & upsampling makes zero sense - in the context of 24/192 bit perfect test file passing.

And did you read the forum you linked?

And have you read the ADI-2 user manual?

:man_facepalming:

You still need to explain how a 32Bit test file could be recognized as a 24Bit file and the ADI-2 says ā€œbit perfectā€? If(!) the 32Bit file isnā€™t transferred correct, the ADI-2 has to say ā€œ32Bit test failedā€!
The ADI-2 only counts samples and I guess in the upsampling of such tiny amount of data as provided by RME the ADI-2 might say ā€œtest passedā€.
Or in other words: The ADI-2 does not make/compare a hash code of the data.
And oh, just in case: ITS MAGIC :smiley:

Talking about 32bit test file is a wast of time for the test I did. See screenshot of user manual above.

The test I did was 24/192ā€¦ and passed.

Btw a friend of mine has a DirectStream DAC which also comes with 24/192 bit perfect test file and reproduced the same test I did

Please try to test yourself using any method you like, otherwise these back and forth is really a waste of time

A last word:
IF the test would proof what you claim it did, then the ADI-2 MUST make a hash code and not only count samples. These little test are not designed or capable of the things you want to show.
IF a 32Bit file is not transferred ā€œbit perfectā€ the ADI-2 should not say ā€œ24Bit test passedā€ - manual page 67. The ADI-2 should say NOTHING.

Lets end discussion about 32bit test file please. Itā€™s completely irrelevant - I didnā€™t test 32/192 for really obvious reasons. I tested 24/192 and DirectStream DAC 24/192 bit perfect test also passes with same test. The below is known for years (especially the part in the user manual).

You are still not explaining nor understanding (how and where the ADI-2 Test is limited/fails) and that exactly is the point where you have to go.
IF the test (with 32Bit) fails, the ADI-2 should display nothing. IF it passes IT MUST NOT display 24Bit AND if IT FAILS IT MUST NOT display 24Bit.
The whole test is purely a gimmick.

You seem to think I test with RMEā€™s 32bit test file?

I didnā€™tā€¦ I use RMEā€™s 24bit/192kHz test fileā€¦ for obvious reasons.

DirectStream DACā€™s 24/192 test file also passes with same testā€¦ With Ted Smithā€™s own bit perfect test files.

No, I donā€™t think that you are testing with a 32Bit test file.
You simply donā€™t understand the obvious limits: The test is nonsense if a 32Bit file causes the ADI-2 to display ā€œ24Bit passedā€ instead of ā€œnothingā€ as described in the manual. I think, the whole test is simply not reliable and too simple to proof what you want to proof.
And please, read my statements and do not simply post/say always the same things over and over again :wink:

1 Like