Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

It will be the same comments no doubt as all the rest of the threads on Spotify and Amazon. Why does anybody think this would be any different. He’s explained so many times Roon does not rely on basic APIs and this is really basic.

This is what Naims head software guy has said about it, it’s just a non starter

2 Likes

Qobuz. Not so sure what’s so bad about them that you keep wanting to court Apple.

I have been a Tidal and Qobuz subscriber since each started streaming in the US.

As I explained before, I fear both Tidal and Qobuz will cease to exist with Apple and Spotify going lossless. This would make Roon almost useless to me.

It might even spur Roon’s demise if enough subscribers leave because it is no longer useful.

3 Likes

Simple, you can only use Qobuz if you link it into something like Roon.
The apps are awful, albums by artist does not show the full list of favourites, CarPlay only works for downloaded albums or tracks, log out and you loose all of your saved content.
I have multiple support tickets with them and non have been resolved, so much that PayPal provided a refund as Qobuz were not delivering and completely failed to respond.

The files may be good quality but the rest of the delivery is awful. You only have to look at the 152 page issues thread here. Official Qobuz Issues Thread - Page 152 - Networking, Networked Audio, and Streaming - Audiophile Style

2 Likes

Fight the fear! And please don’t instill the seed in others. Wait until it’s something actual that needs to be acted upon, and then worry about it. IMO neither are going anywhere anytime soon.

Yes, but this is a ROON forum - nothing to do with cars. I realize a one package fits all would be nice for you, but that’s not always the way things work (or even should work imo).

Really Charles it has nothing really to do with the car it’s about a product providing the service as quoted, and if people are to support Qobuz as you want it must work as described.

1 Like

Just like the Apple/Amazon/Spotify lossless is working so well for everyone… lol…

Nonsense. When Tidal and Qobuz go under it is too late. I am not one to close my eyes and hope for the best.

Having said that, I am pretty sure I am not saying anything the Roon team isn’t already thinking about.

4 Likes

Actually app for app (ie no Roon), both Apple and Spotify are better than Tidal and Qobuz. Amazon is not really a player.

I subscribe to Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify (family plan), and Apple Music (free with my cell plan).

3 Likes

Miggy is right here. Integrate Apple, Spotify or both and Roon gets a huge amount of extra business.

If only it were that simple. The Roon devs can’t just wake up one day and implement support for these services. Apple and Spotify have to get on board (and stay on board).

How do you figure? Apple and Spotify’s target market (and business plan) is completely different than Roon’s (I doubt more than a few percent of their subs even know about Roon). And those that want Roon already have it with or without Tidal/Qobuz.

2 Likes

So Roon , get it done because I don’t see Qobuz or Tidal surviving this onslaught from Apple and Spotify.

Has anyone perhaps thought that Apple does not want those companies to fold? In fact the more fractured it is the better when it comes to working against Spotify. Remember that competition is good to deflect the authorities calling for companies like Apple to be split. I don’t think Apple wants Qobuz or Tidal to fold and would be happy to leave them to the premium market. They’ll be targeting the likes of Spotify and Amazon. In fact, it is possibly a good think for Tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like

This is the issue: Many of my streaming friends, even audiophiles, using Tidal and/or Qobuz, are streaming to one form or another of the Tidal or Qobuz apps. If I were such person, and Apple delivers hi res (and for 1/2 price no less - in fact for free for me as I get it with my cell plan), I would drop Tidal and/or Qobuz in a heartbeat for the Apple solution.

1 Like

Tidal and Qobuz are nowhere in Apple’s radar. That crowd is small. I don’t think your rationale is rational… :slight_smile:

More importantly, even if Apple didn’t want them to fold, once they offer the same or better product for 1/2 the price, why would consumers not switch? The Roon crowd is 100k in size… Just a speckle.

1 Like

First off you have to believe it is a better product, which I don’t think it is (for me). I think Apple expect the Majority of Apple user’s to jump straight to the default in the box solution or something that’s in a value bundle.
They have deals with half the world to give it away for free for 6 months and Spotify is still growing strongly. So I think the spatial Audio (rather than their high resolution) is the new gimmick to get more people trying it or returning to it.

I have to say I don’t like either of the two market leaders apps (and I have subscribed to both), they just don’t work the way I do, but I except that I am part of the minority of the population.

I like the Tidal and more so PlexAmp when I am out of the house (which is more and more as we return to more normal life). But it should be easy to move away if Tidal gets worse, but I did a few years with no streaming services in Roon and could easily go back to that, but would prefer something good quality integrated.

I was listening to podcast the other week which was digging into the payment systems that the different services have and they said that Apple paid the second most to the record labels (after Tidal) but Apple user’s listen to the least music of all the services (and Spotify by far the most).

I have no idea where this information comes from but it sort of aligned with my views that I see from friend’s. Those that really like and listen to a lot of music are generally on Spotify and quite a lot that listen to a small amount of music are on Apple and many of them because it’s part of the bundle. Anecdotal I know and maybe a 70/30 type split but it means a lot of money will continue to go into streaming, and the band’s will continue to get shafted.
More power to Bandcamp and let’s hope that’s where Roon invests some time and real effort for good integration.

1 Like

They’re not, exactly the point. They will be happy for them to have this market.

They wouldn’t switch because Apple will never offer Roon integration, never see HRes or lossless as anything other than matching Spotify. The bigger issue is that Apple are increasingly being scrutinised, especially in European markets. They don’t need to be seen to be killing companies with giant steps. They could if they wanted - they just won’t because they’ll never serve certain sectors of the market.

Anyway, it’s a theory and as you say, maybe it’s rubbish. Only time will tell. I just don’t think Apple cares about Audiophiles unless they live in Apple’s acosystem.

Imho, using the Qobuz app (at least on an iPad) is a much better experience that Apple Music is. It even has a lot of the Roon feel to it.

1 Like

Neill I have never tried Qobuz, besides buying on the Web which I have done quite a lot of. If I move from Tidal it would probably be to Qobuz rather than Spotify or Apple music