Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

What is the file extension on them? m4a or m4p if it’s p they have DRM. I’m still not sure what you mean though , are they are from Apple Music streaming or are they purchases from Apple Music? If the former then they will have DRM, just like Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz all do for anything downloaded for Offline play and can only use their own app to play them and that is a legal requirement of the deals struck between them and the record labels, Roon has no control over it.

For offline use downloaded (not purchased) Apple Music Files have .m4p extension and are DRM protected, currently they can not be played in Roon and are not imported in the Roon library.

Purchased Music from Apple (via iTunes) have .m4a extension and are not DRM protected, they can be played in Roon.

Playlists generated on OS X, iPhone, iPad with the Apple App can be mixed content. The playlists can be imported in Roon, but in that case, the Apple Music tracks are dropped from the list. It would be nice if Roon could nevertheless keep those tracks in the playlist and play them from local downloaded file (.m4p file) or stream them directly from Apple Music.

You don’t need the expense and complications of Roon.

I use an Apple TV, AirPlay over my Ethernet network into my LUMIN D2 and control it using my iPad.

1 Like

As I said they can’t and won’t ever be able to be played in Roon or any other application other than Apple music they are rights managed. This is not something Roon can do anything about. Same as all streaming services. It doesn’t matter if they can be copied to a Nas they are locked for Apple music end of.

There is an Apple Music app on Android. Of course Mac’s are capable and the web app works on windows and Linux. So all platforms are covered.

That is actually quite lazy, but it ticks the ‘coverage’ boxes I suppose. But the only proper fully functional way to do it is on their platform.

Yep only Sonos has access to it outside of their own application. So if your on Android the only way to play it to hifi is via Chromecast or plug the phone in to it. On iOS you get airplay which is more widely used. No real API for hifi systems to use.

1 Like

I suppose it all depends how you define “platform” and “app.” Apple Music is available on Amazon Echo’s via the Alexa service. It’s a “plug-in” app on that platform but from a user perspective it is largely indistinguishable from the rest of the platform service. Couldn’t Roon act as a similar platform with an Apple plugin?

I would say it goes against the ‘deep integration’ philosophy of Roon and its streaming partners. A web API is about as far removed as it gets from how Roon integrates.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. That’s been the issue all along I believe. I just wanted to point out that technically it could be done.

Amazon Echo Dot can do it, probably a miracle but Amazon managed

Really didn’t know that, I guess partnering with the leader in assisted speakers makes business sense for them, like Sonos does for multiroom Music.

Take Tim out to lunch or something. Apple playlists are much better than the supported options and now with lossless and hires coming out in June…

Pretty please?

Bradley

3 Likes

Roon already has my money… ill give you more.

And yes, I know Apple’s closed format is limiting Roon support. Thats why I recommended taking Tim out to lunch and extolling the value of Roon to Apple Music.

3 Likes

Bradley get over it and move on.

Last quarter, quarter mind, Apple posted revenues of 86 billion dollars.

Let that sink in for a moment. And whilst you sit their begging for apple to be in one other part of your universe ask your self, really? You sure about that Bradley?

1 Like

Roon knows how to support Apple Music and would be pleased to provide the same experience as the Qobuz/Tidal integration for Apple Music. If that is what you want then you are pushing against an open door as far as Roon is concerned and should try to persuade Apple.

If you want some type of lesser integration in Roon of Apple Music, Roon have said about music services generally they don’t see the point without the deep integration enabling all the clickable metadata. There are plenty of music player programs out there already.

4 Likes

Yes, but they are not seeing the point. Having the Core as an Airplay receiver, that then makes it possible to use ALL endpoints to listen to Apple music or Spotify or whatever, is not perfect - but it is something.Including this option would probably not be that complicated and would make many users happy. Noone has to use it.
Full integration would obviously be great, but this will most likely not happen. So, why not give users an option?
I personally would love it.

2 Likes

Yes im sure. And yes, I want the same experience as Qobuz/Tidal. That is the benefit of Roon.

2 Likes

Im hopeful that with the advent of Apple Music Hires formats and the need for extra hardware now to benefit from Apple Music hires streaming, maybe Apple will open up.

1 Like