Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

And what about those who don’t have Apple devices we can’t airplay to anything.

Quite a few devices support AirPlay without any Apple hardware eg Cambridge Audio CXN, V1 supports AirPlay directly , as do a number of their wireless speakers

I guess you can never make everybody happy.
But since there are probably a lot of people with atleast one iOS device amongst Roon users, they would make many people happy…

Hoe do you use the Roon Core as an Airplay receiver?

You cannot use it, since it is not implemented.
Was simply a wish

Thanks, I thought so :wink:.

Does anybody know what the maximum bitrate of Airplay is?

The Primare NP5 prisma looks promising. Ordered one just to be prepared :wink:

Primare NP5

A long shot, however we can all provide feedback to Apple…

Here is the link to Apple product feedback, you can select Apple Music service.

What I submitted to Apple is below.

Subject: Roon Integration
Feedback Type: Software/Hardware Compatibility
Comments:
Access to Apple music is only available through Apple applications, which limits my ability to access through other music curation and playback solutions and interfaces.

What Apple Music feature is your feedback about ?: New
Comments:
I currently use Roon (https://roonlabs.com) to manage, curate and playback my music collection. This solution provides a single interface and reliable high-bitrate connectivity to all of my high-end playback devices, regardless of their manufacturer.

Roon includes seamless integration with Tidal (https://tidal.com) and Qobuz (https://qobuz.com), allowing me to see streaming offerings and favorites alongside my own music collection.

The feature request is that Apple support these types of integrations widely used by HiFi enthusiasts.

9 Likes

Currently up to 48 kHz (both Airplay 1 and 2 implementations).

I suppose 48 kHz is reached only with video contents. For sure, audio contents don’t go beyond 44.1 kHz.

It’s an interesting device.

That said, they claimed AirPlay 2 compatibility coming soon for months. Now they explicitly mention it. The user guide, mention AirPlay (without 2), though.

I have some doubts in this regard. If it’s an Apple certified AirPlay 2 why declare coming soon for months: either it is or it isn’t. If it’s a shairplay-sync variant then it’s AirPlay 1 not 2 – version 2 is currently only a proof of concept.

Looking at the ports layout it seems like a raspberry pi based device like the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra or other similar devices. Honestly, I guess it implements shairplay-sync. Glad to be proven wrong.

We’ll see. Currently I rely on a couple of recommendations and would return it if that wasn’t AirPlay2. Certainly I don’t need another Stream Box S2 Ultra :wink:

Keep us informed. :slight_smile:

How will you check if it’s really an AirPlay 2 device?

Well, as soon as others can ‘add next’ a song to the same device, I should know …

That’s not what my answer was. If you don’t have iOS or MacOs you cant airplay to something. Roons a sender not a receiver.

Some people here simply don’t seem to compute that the content is the complement.

Please allow me to put this into perspective.

If the graph @danny posted is correct, and here it is to save everyone a click:

Then Apple’s AirPod revenue is comparable to that of the entire music industry.

Let that sink in, then slowly retreat from your keyboards to meditate on what would make that company want to bend over backwards to accomodate RoonLabs’ needs, or your desiderata. Really. Ponder it. Then send Apple an email.

You guys are all probably smarter than I am, but I’ve got a hunch that “I use this fantastic software and it’s called Roon and you need to let me use it with your streaming service you possibly loose money on because what you really sell is headphones, but I’m not interested in your headphones because I own better ones” isn’t going to get you past the thrashcan. Or bin, depending on the intern’s localization preferences.

8 Likes

Right, smart :slight_smile:.

BTW, the Bluesound NODE (which has been updated recently) is AirPlay 2 compatible. They even somehow declared that the upcoming hi-res Apple Music will be fully usable through AirPlay 2.

1 Like

Before that quote is starting to live a life of its own: there’s quite a bit of ‘I heard he said’ and wishful thinking in it, methinks – far from a definitive statement. I’d be very surprised if Airplay 2 changes colours anytime soon – but we’ll see.

I wouldn’t be surprised, seems like Apple is looking to overhaul their music offering (most likely because AirPods have been so unbelievably successful).

3-4 weeks ago, I read a report from someone stating that on his test bench, he was able to get 192-24 out of Air Play 2

You’re right. :slight_smile:

You know, so far it’s the only hope to access the Apple hi-res streaming (with the exception of the DAC route). Everything else is excluded/limited. :grinning: