Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Spotify Connect is freaking seamless . I play in my house , move to my car and it keeps playing on cellular , go to my daughter’s house and connect to her audio system at her pool.

The only bad part is my granddaughters switched my Classic Rock to Women of Pop on their cell phones after hearing 10 minutes of The Who and Neil Young .

When Spotify goes lossless I can’t imagine not reaching for it consistently and all of my home devices have it .

It doesn’t crash ever like Roon iOS .

It’s the other way around: Tidal and Qobuz users with Roon are a small fraction of their subscribers. If you are not on Roon or Audirvana, you’re likely running the respective apps. Those apps are marginally better than Apple Music, way worse than Spotify. Suddenly Apple or Spotify become lossless and are cheaper than either Tidal or Qobuz… In that scenario, I see most people switching to a cheaper service that is everywhere and gives you the same or better (Spotify) content.

How do you think Tidal or Qobuz survive in this scenario?

And once Tidal and Qobuz are gone, what do you think happens to Roon?

This is the problem.

1 Like

SONOS is NOT the same product as a hifi. Apple Lossless/HiRes IS the same product as Tidal/Qobuz

For the record, I own 13 SONOS zones. It is not hi-fi, it is hi-convenience. I find it hilarious that people stress about it being capped at 24/48.

1 Like

It really does appear that a few people on this thread and forum are preaching the virtues of Apple (and to a lesser extent Spotify) versus Roon and its streaming services, and actively seeking to encourage others to adopt a similar position. Why, I wonder?

Is it an attempt to encourage Roon to change or to introduce a feature such as Apple Integration, which after all was originally the purpose of the OP of this thread? Well, perhaps that could be seen to be the case if those persons had posted a couple of times to state their reasons for potentially migrating from Roon to Apple or Spotify lossless or their regret that Roon hasn’t met their expectations. But no, for some, its an endless stream of posts criticizing Roon, Tidal and Qobuz and countering each and every attempt to point out the benefits of Roon and its streaming partners.

Comments such as “This leaves Roon in the dustbin” don’t help.

It is fairly obvious that some Roon subscribers are hell bent on moving from Roon/Tidal/Qobuz to Apple, Amazon or Spotify. In some cases, this may be for what I consider to be understandable or valid reasons such as saving money or because they are unable to get Roon to operate successfully on their home networks.

I understand those reasons.

However, for many (and I suspect this applies to the vast majority of Roon users although I have no way of proving this), Roon just works, adds considerably to my music listening enjoyment, and for me is worth the extra money that subscriptions to both Roon and Tidal entail. I have no objection to individuals posting to say “goodbye”, or to summarise their reasons for leaving, but please don’t just keep banging the same drum time and time again.

What’s the point?

6 Likes

When Apple Music announced lossless streaming, like many I decided to give Apple Music a go and canceled my Tidal subscription.

After a few days of testing, I realised that Apple Music has a poor user interface with limited discovery features, no Roon integration and streaming quality restricted by Airplay: I therefore reinstated my Tidal subscription.

This is how Tidal, Qobuz or any niche player survive: by being one step ahead of their competition and offering features the bigger players do not have.

Do not forget that this market is growing fast. The majority of the world’s population does not have a subscription yet. To conclude that because Apple and Spotify are entering the lossless market, Roon, Tidal and Qobuz are going to fail is not stating a fact but merely voicing an opinion at this stage.

3 Likes

Simple: I want to keep using Roon. But I don’t want to be without a streaming service in Roon. My preferred streaming service is Qobuz (I subscribe to Sublime+) followed by TIDAL (I have the highest tier subscription). I use both. If I didn’t see them threatened at this moment it would all be a non-issue to me.

2 Likes

It’s the right time for ROON to use apple APi’s to integrate with Apple Music. The quality of Apple Lossless is astounding. Request roonlabs team to get this integration done at the earliest.

6 Likes

I can’t test 24/192 since my Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black Edition soundcard’s max is 24/96 and my hi-fi system is an your average run of the mill Harman Kardon nothing special.

But when I hook up my 2017 MacBook Air and listen to Apple Music through the Music app it sounds a lot better compared to my Windows laptop running iTunes. iTunes doesn’t support lossless or hi-res Apple Music. While Big Sur 11.4’s Music app does.

It sounds just as good as Roon+Qobuz or Audirvana+Qobuz on my system. When comparing it on my Mac laptop.

When it comes to Windows. Since iTunes only supports 320 kbit/sec AAC Apple Music, I can definetly hear the difference between Apple Music and Qobuz.

Apple’s Music app leaves room for improvement, but their personal recommendations and playlists are top notch.

So I’m in a bit of a bind right now. When at work or doing my daily walks I prefer to listen to Apple Music. It’s app beats Qobuz by far. At home I prefer Qobuz since it integrates to well with both Roon and Audirvana.

But I feel like I’m paying double. Paid for a yearly sub to Qobuz, so that equals 15 euro per month. I also have Apple One which also costs 15 euro per month. I hate to say it, but if Roon and/or Audirvana could get Apple Music integration I fear that Qobuz is going when my sub expires June next year.

See this not possible with the current API.

I cancelled Qobuz to switch to AM. The lossless is great, but the Atmos mixes are incredible (for the most part).

Turned off auto-renew on my Roon subscription. I love the software, I really do, but paying for Roon + Qobuz on top of AM is an expensive proposition for what it offers.

4 Likes

Have Roon made any comment on plans to talk to Apple or to attempt to integrate with Apple Music? Sorry if this has been asked and answered already!

I’m new to Roon but love it. Currently using Tidal but AM now lossless is great too (that subscription comes with my phone plan).

But as many have said paying for 3 subscriptions now is expensive. I wish Roon allowed for access on the go (without a seemingly messy fix some people have offered as a solution).

Hoping some clarity / common sense and uniformity comes out of this but knowing Apple it’s unlikely !

3 Likes

Careful you’ll stir the hornets nest :wink: you should read 1200 post over at Apple Music thread to learn more.

Seriously Roon has not answered as yet but everyone else says it isn’t worth the effort. So I have contacted Apple and asked for them to work with Roon and Bryston, the rest of the industry to better integrate Apple Music. With 250000 users they might listen if we all did this.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-music.html
Honestly I have tried Tidal their catalog of old classic music isn’t very deep (for music I like). I mainly used it to listen to new music to decide whether to buy and there are free ways to do that. For now I am told Airplay 2 or an iPad plugged into devices that support USB drives will work. I will report if it does when my adapter arrives Tuesday with my Lumin U1 mini.
For me we already have AM in our Family plan so would be nice to have lossless streaming audio at no extra cost. Last night I plugged in my Apple TV into my Bryston BDA-3 HDMI input and was only able to get 24/48. HDMI 1 supports up to 8 channels at 24/192. We’ll see what happens when I try my iPad via USB Camera adapter when it arrives. With Lumin sending music back via USB to DAC I am told that would support 24/192…
PS
Either way listening to my three favorite Queensryche albums brought out some micro detail I had not heard on CD’s could also be due to remaster, mine were bought new back when released (watched that band in a small club with 1k others as a teenager) WOW.

1 Like

Not in this thread but they have answered many times before about Apple Music along with Spotify and Amazon. The API approach isn’t suitable full stop for Roon and this API is no use to any device manufacturer or app Dev thdt uses its own player architecture. Roon need Apple to allow them the same freedoms with thier data that Tidal and Qobuz have consented to and allow streams to be played outside of their player architecture. Who knows what other deals might be going on behind closed doors. They won’t say anything on that until it’s ready to go as that’s how they roll.

1 Like

Yah we know how about heading on on over to apple music submit a request…

1 Like

I’ve submitted a request to Apple … I won’t hold my breath though :rofl:

3 Likes

Not exactly. They have not explicitly stated no for AppleMusic, but have for Spotify and Amazon Music.

I think they’re working on AppleMusic implementation.

2 Likes

What makes you think that ?

Their silence most likely. Apple will have to open up way more than they have for anybody else for Roon to add it in. I can’t see this happening for the small user base Roon has its not got much wide appeal or even from a PR move as it’s low key as know one outside of hifi has a clue about Roon nor will care. I could be wrong and they may have let things go, but one things for sure it won’t be using this APi as it’s not up to that as has been explained too much already. If Apple want to dominate the music playback business they need to have a connect type system to me that would make more sense to how they work than anything else and it keep it all inside their own walled garden for the most part.

1 Like

Well, my believe is that Tidal & Qobuz are in danger. Not Roon. The reason is the RAAT protocol. I feel Roon is more prepared to handle High Resolution format than the Apple devices (you can play in many devices at the same time with Roon-Ready). The Iphone needs extra cables to have real high resolution and bluetooth will not solve that. Streaming in high resolution will requiere large bandwidth also, not making very handly at this time. Having in Roon the Apple API should some the problem.

The metadata is a plus but is not the main difference. For the ones who prefer sound quality Roon is a better option if you have several different brands in my point of view, making it more flexible in the long run.

1 Like

There is no hope to see the Apple Music intergration :pensive:, 2years user just cancelled susbcription 1min ago (susbcription will be end on next Friday). Going to give a try on DLNA/UPNP software such like third-party picore or audir***a for Apple Music Stream.