Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

If that was the case then every app would have added it by now You can’t use it to stream in your own playback engines, which Roon is and the same reason it’s not integrated in most hifi systems, the API doesn’t allow this you have to use their stuff. This was confirmed by Naims head of software. Only if they relent on it as they have with Sonos and the few others will it happen.

1 Like

I want Apple on Roon and I want it now!!! “Screaming at the sky”

4 Likes

@davidh you are clearly from the Fox Moulder school of "I want to believe*

I have to say I would be tempted to try it if it came to Roon. So I think I have a safe 10 years at least before I need to put up.

1 Like

Stamp away , it will probably have the same effect as any temper tantrum :smiling_imp:

I already replied to another post saying JUST THE SAME :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

I asked Apple to do it: Feedback - Apple Music - Apple

You can too if you are serious.

1 Like

You will all have more luck with Amazon Music (not great luck but just more than Apple Music)

At least there already exists 3rd party access to Amazon Music HD up to PCM192kHz, that you can use today - like on Bluesound Nodes for example.

It’s a crap user experience but it is functional right now.

I don’t think Amazon would care though.

There are 200k Roon users?

Probably way more BluOS devices in the wild. Remember BluOS is not only used by Bluesound but other manufacturers too.

1 Like

I think the wider concern for users is if qubuz or tidal pulled support, thats basically Roon done for. Its time for Roon to change how it does things. What ever the massive level of integration is I am not sure, but in principle we ant to search and play music, all the bumph on artists can surely come from elsewhere.

I have no horse in the race regards apple music, their music app is bloody awful so I dont subscribe. I am however wedded to roon, and I don’t see the future if even just tidal pulled out.

1 Like

True. Real crap and as such unused.

Not True! I have AM/iTunes since day one and it always allowed me to play my music and now everything for 10+ hours a day, keep my local files organized better than any other software, and I tried 99.9% of them.

I agree with you, it’s very functional for only local files. I’ve been using iTunes for 18 years, and streaming losslessly through airplay for nearly that long. iTunes has always been a mess from a GUI standpoint, but roon is also a mess but in different ways. iTunes is crap when it comes to trying to integrate your local library with their apple music streaming service. I can see that changing pretty quickly though if it becomes a priority for them.

iTunes, apple music and carplay allow me to take my music with me anywhere, anytime. roon does not. airplay is more forgiving of network latencies and weirdness in my experience. iTunes and apple music plays nicely with my apple ecosystem, roon is a mixed bag.

I keep two lossless libraries, one on a nuc running ROCK, and one in iTunes. Apple has shown over the last two decades that they know how to play music (ipod, itunes, iphone, airpods, homepods, and track sales). you might not like the implementations, but lots of people do. If I was a betting man, I’d say that apple music will outlive all these other services and platforms.

I like roon a lot (when they aren’t ruining it with buggy updates), it offers a view into music and artists that is unrivaled out there. I subscribe to qobuz to get the full functionality of what roon offers. But without a lot of effort on apple’s part, they could knock something together that is very roon-like if they wanted to, they already have the catalog and the streaming, and the hooks into the hardware ecosystem. And that should scare roon, as apple has an army of coders that can churn that out virtually overnight.

Sheldon

1 Like

I like the AM GUI, not as much as ROON for discovery and playing, but for editing, imho nothing beats it.
I agree that integration of local files with iCloud library in AM is crap. I have never even tried it as I have Terabytes in my local library and some really crazy music that is accumulated over the 30+ years, therefore I just keep two different libraries, one for streaming and one to edit my local files and open them as needed. Roon is pointed to AM’s local files folder and picks up all of my changes right away.

May be that will be a good idea for my retirement project, when my company let me go. I do have enough skills and even a few Apple employees to show it to, if it ever happens.

Why the clamor for Apple Music integration? Use Tidal and/or Qobuz with Roon and Apple Music on-the-go. I don’t see any reason Apple Music would ever want to integrate with Roon or Audirvana or any other 3rd party music player.

1 Like

I do not see any use for AM in this case. Use Tidal and/or Qobuz with Roon and on-the-go.

AM is cheaper for family plan than any of them

This may be true, but many users would like it. It would streamline subscriptions for those of us with multiple Apple services (Apple One) and allow AM high resolution to multiple endpoints via Roon RAAT. I have a lot invested in 8 endpoints only some of which support Airplay.

AFAIK Airplay is limited to 44/48 and cannot deal with higher sample rates or bit depths.

For anyone with a car with carplay, apple music is a fantastic add-on. You can ask siri to play anything and she will fetch it and play it while you drive. Qobuz doesn’t do that, so I keep AM around for use in the car.

4 Likes

I have used Apple computers for almost 25 years and iTunes could not hold Roon’s joc strap!!!

If it wasn’t for Apple, there would be nothing to hold. We all would still be using WinPlay3

Sure Winplay3 was the first, but quickly went out of the window when Winamp dominated the player market two years later. AOL messed it up and the good developers like Peter Pawlowski then with Frank Bicking and others created the Foobar2000 project with Facets, Simplaylist… built. My No. 2 after Roon. Lollypop is No. 3 and iTunes I have only on an old MacBook Pro 2009.

1 Like

There are a lot of people that just want to play what they want, search and play and are very happy with it.

They don’t need the metadata (can browse Google for lots of info) and don’t care for linking credits - just want to search and play.

And in this case Amazon Music HD + BluOS is perfectly fine.

Playback is bit perfect and with correct sample rates. Amazon Music will outlive all of us. No risk of it disappearing one day (Qobuz?).

There’s over 300 million Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music users happy without advanced metadata and linking

And 200k Roon users?

We all want to selfishly demand what we need (which is fine) but need to look at the bigger picture too.

Only risk with 3rd party API with Amazon Music is if one day Amazon does a Spotify and kills 3rd party access, in favour of ‘Spotify Connect’ style. But even then, Bluesound will probably support such. They cover a lot.

The Amazon Music UI in BluOS is awful compared to Tidal’s in BluOS. While the SQ may be fine, discovery, organization and sorting are so bad I never use it. These days the majority of my listening is done via Roon or vinyl.