Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

I’m currently using the iPad’s Amazon Music HD app and ‘casting’ straight to WiiM Mini. Correct sample rates, no resampling.

I’m beta testing. Some bugs but WiiM are furiously working at it. There’s fixes coming every couple weeks.

This is the first device I’ve seen that allows this with Amazon Music HD. Maybe the first of many to come soon.

Not even the Bluesound can do this as you know.

I think Amazon will want to scrap 3rd party API’s completely in favour of this - Spotify showed everyone how to do it years ago with ‘Spotify Connect’.

Agreed, all the bluos implementations I found to be woefull when I had a Node, never was inclined to use it. It may cover a lot but as a user experience it sucks as they are all disjointed. Same for Sonos really only Spotify seems to be good but that’s just an exact clone of the Spotify app for the layout.

Apple Music lossless and high res led to
my cancelling Spotify. Only reason for me to hold on to Tidal is for roon integration - roon sounds better to me than airplay on all my systems

So- dealing with the behemoth that is Apple - any discussions on integrating Apple Music into roon?

Roon have confirmed that it will not happen. They’d love to integrate Apple Music or Spotify but neither of those companies will ever give them the access they need.

Not ever? Eternity is a long time.

Ah, but the life of tech products like Apple Music and, regrettably, Roon, are (relatively) short times.

Ars longa, vita brevis.

Let me rephrase then, until the day that Apple becomes an open, collaborative company.

1 Like

There would be a fine thing.

Or… unless roon RAT becomes a transmission standard

It’s fascinating to see the evolution of streaming and equipment. Our expectations at every stage have stayed one step ahead of what is on offer.

Here’s where I am and where I see us going :

1. I’m no longer happy to pay premium for lossless streaming. Tidal is on notice

2. I expect access to the sound quality I have come to expect of RAT protocol feeding my setup regardless of wether I’m doing serious big rig listening (DCS/ Halcro/ ESL) , TV (thank you Lyngdorf —>ESL), AND also mobile from phone to streaming unit or even,

3. To headphones

4 mentioning Lyngdorf brings the big bear into the arena - our rooms and room correction. Yes, always set up so minimal correction is needed but it does make a difference so …

1. An easier way to load convolution files and room correction modules into Roon is still out there. I need to use a noisy PC or Mac and lose my silent dedicated music server to create work around. Yes there is REW and no, I don’t have the knowledge for it. This has to be easy to use like Dirac or Room Perfect - they are ones I have used most, not the only ones out there l.

I see REW as a power user program. Ideally the process should be : Run setup - load - listen, maybe refine - enjoy! REW does not meet that expectation - I can see it is powerful but lacks accessibility due to complexity

Running multiple config sequences to generate multiple files for each sampling rate, per speaker, and manually configuring parameters that seem better suited to space craft launch protocols, then refining them - is not consistent with what the average music lover has the time or intent on learning. Be more seamless like an Apple product - they didn’t invent anything new - they made it seamless.

End of the day we want to sit and just enjoy the music. Let it flow. Drift with it. Watch a movie and be unexpectedly swept by the soundtrack because the system is musical.

Roon has been fantastic for sound quality, and they get the occasional smack because they can’t be all things to all people immediately.
But it is fascinating to see them read our comments.

Where we are now is so far ahead of where we were or had access to a year or two ago for software and hardware and their accelerating integration.

One example - I change all my volume settings with my phone volume buttons. - sounds small but makes the interface disappear from my mind. It’s an important storm So here’s hoping they keep evolving. And one day maybe Apple Music will turn in in Roon. Or, Roon will be in Apple Music.

Behemoth or not - Apple needs to stay as engaged in this service industry as Roon. They are just as much on notice. If I can sign off Spotify and accept the absence of Tidal - there is nothing permanent about Apple Music. I could go back to HDTracks for lossless that I own outright. I could then use a cheap streaming service as a sampling market for music. Our phones and small and cards have enough memory to hold more than enough music for travel - I need the files not the streaming service with subscription fees.

That’s why these services have pushed streaming over DRM free purchase. But they didn’t expect the cumulative cost of multiple services to match purchase price of music outright. They are in danger of going full circle from purchasing music, to streaming access to music without permanence, to my current quandary of why am I tethered to this endless streaming cost for the relatively smaller number of songs on my playlists and in my library - let me just buy it.

HDTracks- come on you lot - you are selling music data free of any manufacturing, distribution, or storage costs. You can’t expect people to pay the same for a digital file as a CD of LP. Half price sales are just getting down to acceptable pricing. Think again about the product cost and make the streamers nervous.

Here’s hoping those reading my holiday ramble ( I think the third double espresso might have been a bit much ) enjoy your music and soundscapes as much as I do. I really hope you ignore the search for descriptive numbers and company labels for the joy of the sound you’re hearing. Big rig, small rig. I have heard terrible sound from Uber $$$ rigs. And been lost in the music with perfect company in a ‘ modest ‘ no name setup. There’s a reason my kids prefer their blue tooth speakers - it gives them joy and easy access - it’s that simple. It’s music. We have come a long way. And we keep diving deeper. One more step.

Hope the services can keep up

While this is true I think it’s worth remembering that in music streaming, there is very little money to be made. Apple is in this as a plug to their ecosystem. The value of their streaming service evaporates if it doesn’t direct people to their higher margin products and services.

Their is zero incentive for Apple to open up and lots of reasons to lock down. The same is true for Spotify. The difficulty of leaving Spotify I have observed online is remarkable and shows how effective lock in can be.

As for the cost, you are right that if you are not constantly discovering new music then the value of a streaming service diminishes over time. That being said, the connivence doesn’t. People like just having an app and playing their music on everything, anywhere. The inconvenience of locally stored or purchased music is incredibly unpleasant when you are so accustomed to cloud services. People aren’t going to move away from music streaming services for that reason alone.

Apple won’t adopt other tech unless they purchase the company. They really have no need here they have Airplay. It’s used by so many has so many devices support it and 99% of its users don’t care for hires or lossless. Why spend money on something they don’t need,.only to gain a few 100k users. Just not worth the effort. If it allowed them to gain a predominant market share and help sell millions more units or is very good PR stunt to get awareness then it won’t happen. Look at where their strategy is and the tie ins they have with AM and it all makes sense for a large co.

1 Like

Apple have their own ecosystem, they will never care about Roon Integration.

3 Likes

And their integration with Sonos is expalined how?

Sonos is hardware, Roon is software. The first they do, the second never…

1 Like

Can I guess? Or make stuff up? If the latter, can I use aliens in my explanation? Cannibals? Time travel? Ghosts? Sad clowns? American bison?

2 Likes

Roon has never confirmed this with Apple Music. They have for Spotify and Amazon Music but have so far remained ‘mum’ with regards to Apple Music.

Danny has said it’s not happening.

It’s the same issue as Spotify. Apple would have to give up lock in, work directly with Roon.

There’s literally nothing in that quote from Danny which states they are not considering Apple Music integration.