Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

At 1.3$ billion annual revenue Sonos is tiny compared to Apple at 365$ billion. I don’t know the figure but in aggregate all other brands and devices would be far larger than Sonos.

It’s the market leader and the one that paved the way of bringing quality devices to the masses. They also align with how Apple works to with simplicity of their app and eco system. Apple choose partners very carefully.

In case anyone using Apple Music misses focus from Roon (like me), Marvis is awesome:

Obviously nowhere near as pretty but has great functionality.

Though that is not relevant. At the time the Sons integration was brought in, Apple Music was new, they needed leverage into a very established home audio system. Sonos at the time had no AirPlay integration. They made it work. Now they still only stream lossy streams as the market has changed and Apple is a home audio competitor to Sonos. Apple wants you to have Apple products and as such AirPlay is what they want you to use. No way are they handing off their streams in quality to a cometitors product.

This was in response that Sonos was a huge company. Relative to Apple it is not.

Here is a reason the WebKit isn’t currently for hardware. Hifi rose have given it a whirl but it sounds like it’s not worth the effort at all might as well use Airplay.

2 Likes

Very interesting post from HiFi ROSE. I hope all the folks asking for Apple Music integration read this.

1 Like

Of course they won’t, they will just demand Roon makes it work :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

We hope they make it work…

1 Like

And that is not unreasonable, even if it is unlikely to get us anywhere.

Not sure if you read the article posted above from HiFi Rose, but Roon fans would not be happy with the solution that was offered through the Apple API and Roon would not consider this as the product would be sub par.
It really is up to Apple to deliver something that is usable outside of the Apple Ecosystem and Sonos Ecosystem

1 Like

Not surprised by Apple’s lack of support outside their ecosystem. It is very hard to integrate a system into Apple ecosystem as well separating a system from said ecosystem. I would not expect the ball for this to roll at all. Just gotta stick with two separate system sadly.

There is an app called Cider, that is basically an alternative to iTunes on Windows. Their integration seems to be working, at least for lossy files.

Tesla just did it. Can Roon now?

2 Likes

The better question might be will Apple want too :thinking:
Let’s hope they do but it cannot be built without Apple

Tesla can browse and play from Apple. This is nothing like Roon.

Roon requires a copy of the streaming service’s database to facilitate all the things that Roon can do. They receive a copy from Tidal and Qobuz, which is why only these services are available, and not from Spotify, Amazon, and Apple, which is why they aren’t.

This has been discussed so many times in so many threads already, I’m sure several times in this one as well.

2 Likes

Your wasting your breath.

4 Likes

May one ask if this would be such a bad thing? One would imagine that most music enthusiasts that would love Apple Music integration do actually only use Apple products… of course I am one of them!

I only have what one would call a budget set up, Arcam Solo Uno, Q Acoustics Floor standing Speakers, and a Mac Min as my server.I would love to spend more money, but you have to be practical and not everyone can afford too! I love the honesty about the music that Roon gives, what’s playing and the quality I am listening, but Roon gives the sound another dimension, so Cd, Hi-Res, whatever it all sounds incredible, and for that I am thankful!

Being an Apple Music subscriber I also purchased HomePods, for the Bedrooms, as sometime you just to need to sit back, relax and listening to Music without interuption form the family as there is no room for a dedicated music room in my household! :smiley:

Not sure if it would ever be even possible but would love the RAAT to be implemented into AudioOS (HomePods OS) as I have discovered that even using Roon Arc (through Airplay) sounds better quality that Apple Music doing the same thing! :wink:

Just my thoughts anyhow… probably mean nothing! :thinking:

2 Likes

since Apple would control the audio stream, and not Roon’s MUSE audio engine:

• no DSP
  • no hi-resolution audio
  • no multi-zone
  • no bit-perfect playback
  • no using your devices’ clocks for networked audio
  • no signal path
  • no volume leveling
  • no crossfade
  • forced resampling, possibly asynchronous
  • Airplay only for networking

In many cases, Roon + Apple products will be better than Apple Music + Apple Products – but this requires using Roon’s audio engine (which we have recently branded as MUSE so it’s easier to talk about). By Roon’s standards, Apple Music can not be reliably listened to losslessly using Apple’s solutions.

8 Likes

Oh now that makes sense! That’s a different story. My apologies for being so naive!

Hi @danny

reading between the lines, or just counting the "no"s;
Is it correct to assume integration Roon/Apple music is (currently, current tech/willingness Apple) not possible at all?

(still hoping)
Is this issue soluble/fixable in the near future?

1 Like