Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Hi Danny,

I run my Roon Core on an M1 Mac Mini (MacOS) and use Roon remote on my iPhone and iPad (iOS). I would still love it if Roon would let me stream Apple Music even if only via AirPlay. That way I can enjoy my own local music and utilise Apple Music within Roon for music discovery. Music discovery is all I really used Tidal for when using Roon anyway. I would happily forgo the lack of Roon’s audio magic for the streaming. It would for sure increase my use of Roon and Roon would be better value for money (for me). I wonder if anyone else feels the same(?).

Perhaps down the line, Apple would soften to allow Roon more control of the stream (unlikely I know).

2 Likes

Last year, Apple released updates to their developer tools that allow third party developers to incorporate more Apple Music functionality into third party apps. These tools are Apple Apple MuiscKit and Apple Music API . These tools work with iOS apps, Android apps, and JavaScript apps.

All of this information is available on the Apple Developer website: Apple MusicKit, Apple Music API

So the question, as a lifetime Roony, when can I expect Apple Integration? :slight_smile:

1 Like

As mentioned in other threads, Roon requires a deeper integration than exists with the api. Roon has talked with Apple, but, they haven’t been willing yet. Same reason for any other service.

As @Rugby wrote, plus: Apple would only allow this integration, if it is used on Apple devices. It would not work on Windows, Android, Linux …

This was once posted from a responsible Roon person. Don’t remember who it was.

1 Like

Definitely worth reading through one of the multiple threads to understand why this will not work.
This has been discussed and requested multiple times previously.

@Peter_Bruderer @Rugby you really should go back and read about apple’s music tools that came out last year
There is no limitation for developers to run on only Apple devices.

1 Like

No but there are other limitations which were discussed by Roon staff that means these tools are not usable by Roon

@Michael_Harris I found some old posts and agree. But LAST YEAR apple released the apple music kits, and would love to hear roon revisit the subject.

1 Like

Yes I understand and some of these discussions happened after this release.
There are some non apple music specific threads as well, but I imagine they are harder to find.

And apparently they did, this is from 2 and 1 months ago:

@Evan_Kohn1, I’ve merged your topic into this one.

If you’ve not read them already, I recommend checking out Danny’s posts for Roon position on this.

Honest to Pete, I wish that Apple and Roon would get over whatever issues they have. I want to be able to use Apple Music and Apple Classical through Roon. I’m not usually do impatient about these things but when I sense that there is unreasonableness on the wind, I kinda get my back up.

Yes there is. The web kit is not for hardware or integration in to a product like Roon. It’s for web app or apps on phones. It requires Apple Music aop for authentication amongst other things.

Only one hardware manufacturer has tried to use it and it’s a dogs dinner due to authentication and DRM. Also hires nor lossless isn’t available via the API.

Roon have talked with Apple and they won’t let them use the way Roon require except on Apples hardware and it would be limited to use their player restrictions so no DSP, bit perfect amongst other caveats. It’s not going to happen.

You mean Sonos? They integrated Apple Music nice (first step not so, but now is very good), and I ask them AAC or ALAC, they told me same as Apple hardware.

1 Like

Sonos isn’t the same at all and I believe it’s not lossless but happy to proved otherwise not that you can with it’s closed system. Apple deemed them worthy of working with them for integration and their platform works very differently.Do you see anyone one else using WebKit other than Hifi Roses dogs dinner? No as it’s not a viable way of integration for any system that has its own playback engine. Other OEMs already stated it’s just not a viable option to use WebKit to add support. Do you see any other server platforms using it, no again because it’s not viable. It’s limited in scope and they won’t budge on what it can and can’t do.

They integrate their services (not only music) with Android OS. This is huge and give many opportunities. A lot audio hardware & music software works on robo. I know, that Apple is very own garden company, thier APIs, webkit are limited, but they change politics and in future…

They control Android though as it’s their own app same with their own apps for Apple TV+. They don’t allow access via 3rd parties in the same way. WebKit really just allows a different front end to Apple Music it’s their search their playback engine you can’t keep the data it’s just an access portal that requires Apple Music app to also be available to authenticate it. It’s just a means to sell their own hardware as is fully evident from the caveats they placed on Roon to allow them to integrate.

Roon doesn’t really have an issue, except if you want to count that they want Roon to be Roon. Apple do what they do in their walled garden, as explained further up in the thread by Danny.

Sonos is a longtime partner with Apple, which began before Apple had their own connected speakers and playback devices. Sonos has special access to Apple integration that isn’t available to other vendors or in the API.

2 Likes

these guys intigrate apple music. though, not sure if it’s lossless