Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

Anything can stream Apple Music with their API kit ( for example my Android phone can) but it’s another thing to integrate it into a whole different platform such as Roon. See the numerous explanations in the thread. .

1 Like

What is this device??? I don’t understand.

Apple Music integration with Roon would be amazing, but I am not holding my breath!

What blows my mind is that Apple Music STILL does not have a means of doing what Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect does - incomprehensible!

2 Likes

Completely agree. The biggest feature keeping music subscribers with Spotify is Spotify Connect and also their playlists are better than all other music services.

Because Apple only wants you to connect with their phones and tablets, nothing else (though they begrudgingly allow workarounds only because they have to) and could care less about the niche of audiophiles. If Spotify and Tidal sold millions of pieces of hardware, it might be the same. Doesn’t mean one has to like it, it just is. FTR I’m typing this on a MacBook M1 Air.

2 Likes

I disagree. The reason Spotify Connect was created is that Spotify wants to capture all of the information of your browsing, liked, playlists, and playing activity for their benefit. By allowing this form of “remote” they are getting both a robust connection and the info capture. It is absolutely brilliant and the key reason (in my opinion) they will never integrate with Roon.

Apple provides similar functionality over Airplay. Except Airplay is a terrible solution since your device is in the middle of the data flow for no good reason.

As for “Apple wants you to connect with their phones and tablets” that is obviously completely incorrect: I can run Apple Music on Mac, Windows, and Android.

2 Likes

So i go over to my daughter’s house, sitting at her pool and ask her if i can play a Spotify playlist. I hit the playlist , connect to her audio though Spotify Connect and it immediately plays. Fantastic. Grandkids hated it so I put on Spotify top hits for them. I can close out the Spotify app and it still plays

It is superb and it is the main reason why they won’t integrate with Roon.

Apple should be ashamed with their awful airplay system.

3 Likes

Yes, but at least it’s their own app. See further above by Danny regarding what they don’t allow, which is most of the things that make Roon Roon

16 posts were split to a new topic: Spotify Connect is a brilliant idea

Please use this new topic to continue the Spotify discussion.

As a relative newcomer to Roon, I was keen to explore the possibilities of Apple Music integrating with Roon.

There are many mixed aged threads on this subject, with a natural tendency for most of them to focus on the technicalities.

It appears that the challenge is a commercial one however, hence wanting to start this thread whereby this can remain the focus, in terms of any progression, updates etc.

This is, as far as I know, the canonical answer from Roon and is rather current, from May and June:

2 Likes

And this …

Consequently, I’m merging with this thread since it already sums things up from a non-technical perspective.

1 Like

This post you just posted is from 2015 (8 years ago!).

We’ve talked to them since then, and the post @Suedkiez quoted is a better summary of the situation.

1 Like

I pasted my link, not this one, in error … will rectify in a short while.

1 Like

That’s the one I posted anyway before your first one :wink:

1 Like

What I intended was to merge with the latest thread. Too many browser windows open, and I’m not good a multitasking! :laughing:

3 Likes

Thanks @Martin_Webster

I appreciate your first linked post from 8 years ago :wink:

I hadn’t read that one before.

Is Apple still afraid of Spotify? (Rhetorical)

1 Like

Absolutely. In most of the locales where they are around the world, Spotify and Amazon are their only real competition.

Roon Core Machine

Mac Studio (2022, M1, 32gb RAM)

Any news around the campfire, circa late '23 on a possible integration, or working hack?

Thanks!

1 Like