Apple Music integration (with new Apple Music Web-API?)

It’s already been said several times it ain’t happening and no there is no hack. If you use the forums search you will see Danny’s response about why. Apple won’t budge on only letting it run on their hardware and they wont relent on it using Roons playback stuff. Its non starter a few months are unlikely to change this stance. Apple is walled garden live with it.

1 Like

The only solution for other than Tidal and Qobuz and your own media is

2 Likes

Fair enough; I’m going to miss Roon and ARC when my sub terms next spring; though rooPlay looks like it might provide some functionality.

Appreciate everyone’s input - @Simon_Arnold3 @Menzies @Suedkiez !

1 Like

Give all the comments about Apple controlling the UI etc, here’s an interesting link:

4 Likes

Cool looking player app, but still has no bearing on what Roon does. There are plenty of third party player apps in the Apple Store for Apple Music, but they are exactly that - just taking your Apple Music library and jumbling up the UI. Roon needs more than this, and Apple can’t or won’t give it to them. End of story.

1 Like

I know this topic’s been brought up before but I’m bringing it back and I hope more people do too. As a loyal Roon customer I’d like to ask Roon to start conducting polls to determine where their enhancements revenue gets spent. Personally I couldn’t care less about remote access to my Roon library. I know some do, that’s fine. I have PlexApp for remote listening and it works fine for me.
I’d be curious in a poll how many customers would choose Apple Music integration over ARC?
Come on Roon, Sonos supports over 100 streaming services. The biggest of them all now is Apple Music, when are you going to direct resources to Apple Music integration? If you’re never going to do it, why not?

They’ve explained why already. Read the larger thread on the topic.

1 Like

This has been discussed so many times. Its already been discused by Roons CEO.

Its not going to happen for two reasons currenlty and doesnt matter how many want it.

Apple will only allow it to work with Roon via Apple Hardware only.

Apple wont allow it to be used using Roons audio engine so no DSP, No bit perfect many other things likely down to having to use their DRM.

It would be a massive compromise in how Roon works for SQ and useablity and would not be e available to a huge majortty of user. This is isnt how Roon works so it wont happen unless Apple loosen their grip, which we all know wont happen.

12 Likes

I like Apple stuff (owner of an iPad, iPhone and Apple TV), but as soon as some / any other service wants some sort of Apple integration and doesn’t get it, then we can safely assume it’s Apple’s fault. It has always been like this. The other way 'round: if Apple wants some kind of integration with an external service, then they have enough financial means to simply buy the company that delivers the service, or at least put a whole lot of money in their pockets.

So to all Roon lovers, if you like Roon but you can’t get your head around the fact that Roon doesn’t have Apple Music integration: blame Apple, ditch Apple Music, and get a Qobuz and/or Tidal subscription. That probably won’t change Apple’s mind, but it’s like pricking an elephant with a needle: you just might make it feel something. Or simply wait for Apple to buy Roon. :wink:

4 Likes

I pray to Christ this never happens. Look at Dark Sky: It was THE best weather app available, period. Apple bought it, then promptly removed it from Android phones and stuffed it into only their ecosystem.

If they did that to Roon I’d be immeasurably disappointed.

1 Like

No, Apple won’t buy Roon. I guess you hadn’t heard the news:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-acquired-by-harman-international/257414

Sadly, none of those are available where, for example, I live. We have a choice of Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music. None of which, ironically, can be integrated into Roon.

I guess things might change, Harman being the owner could say to Roon, just implement whatever you can to get Apple into Roon with some sort of functionality.
They could tell them to implement a whole range of services like Sonos and Bluesound to gain users.
The whole we need this data could go out of the window as Roon is told what to do by its new owners.

It would be limited to Apple products only so why would they do that at all? They were offered a deal to add it but only on Apple hardware and refused, can’t see that changing because of new ownership as it’s not a good move to fragment your userbase.

Yes, but the new owner might suggest it not a good option to limit peoples option to only 3 services which limits growth of the product.
It may all depend what they want to do with the product they now own.

1 Like

Apple would be too limited. Both Spotify and Deezer don’t want to.

So that leaves very few options.

I think you have that the wrong way round, limiting a service to a specific OS would be limiting the growth. If Roon only worked on Mac or Windows I doubt it would have the level of usership it currently does. I certainly would not subscribe to anything thats locked in this way, its as bad a paywall strategy and shows they are not interested in the greater value of music only its value in dollars to them in hardware sales.

That’s my set up exactly.

I read the article

and thought I may be simple to integrate Apple Music and Roon when Roon Server in on MacOS. Am I right?

That’s to link up apps that use Apples WebKit for basically a different front end to Apple Music, it still streams via Apple Musics player they are limited to AAC they can’t keep any data. It’s not for building integration like Qobuz or Tidal allow. This has been round a million times.

1 Like