ARC bit-perfect in Android phone! [To External USB-DAC]

I have tried the USB driver with a FiiO BTR7 connected to my Google Pixel 6. Whilst I can get a lossless signal path, I get no control over the device volume (but the HW volume control on the FiiO is honoured) and I get repeated “Error communicating with USB DAC” errors and then I have to “Allow Roon ARC to access FiiO BTR7” again. This happens about every 30 seconds of so.

Roon Core is a NUC11TNHi7 running ROCK (application version 2.0 build 1277).
The Pixel 6 is fully updated and is Running Roon ARC build 182.

All tracks streamed are FLAC files from a local library stored on internal storage on the NUC. I have tried both 44.1/16 and 192/24 files.

Disclaimer, my ROON network setup is optimised for critical listening in my lounge and as a consequence, streaming to any WiFi endpoint from the core involves an “Ethernet over Mains” link which introduces jitter on the network (ping times increase from a steady <5ms to a variable 10 - 60ms). However, this has not been an issue on any other RAAT endpoint using same. However, I do not think that this is an issue because:
1: Windows Computer based ROON endpoints do not suffer the same issue.
2: Downloading the files in ROON ARC and playing the file from the Pixel 6 Storage makes no difference.

ARC unfortunately still crashes with Pixel 7 Pro and Focal Bathys in DAC mode even with the new update that supposedly fixes this issue:

• Fixed a potential crash in ARC when connecting certain USB DACs

I will open a new thread in the support category.

Hi there - I did try ARC on Android with the USB driver activated right after it got released. Using in ears with a dongle dac - I completely blew my ears - (although my moonriver dac has volume control buttons) I had the volume off to start with - but once I touched volume up - the volume did go to max right away. I did not try again since then … now I had a look and wonder if that issue has been fixed. I can see the USB driver still says Beta and therefor was not brave enough to try again :wink: What is your experience with this feature - is it “save” to use it. Thanks and best regards Sven

1 Like

It has been safe for me, only once ever having the volume go up to maximum, but currently the USB driver is broken, at least on early access and crashes about 10 second’s after plugging it in on both my Android phones with both of my dongle DACs.
Room are currently working on a fix for this

It depends on the DAC being used I believe re the full volume issue.

I have the same issue as Michael, so difficult to see exactly what is happening but getting blasted at full volume can still be an issue depending on the DAC.

The only way to get around the volume control issue is to get an external USB DAC with external volume control by default. Example like ifi go bar.

So far this USB DAC works flawlessly for ARC. It has built-in XMOS USB controller.

I have the iFi Go bar and it is still broken by the latest Early Access version of ARC.
Hopefully we will see an update this coming week that fixes it. The update arrived the same day as my iFi Go so no extended testing against the Fiio KA2 was possible as both broken.

So, I just tried using Roon Arc and UAPP to force hardware volume and cannot get it to function correctly.

There is a constant crackling going on during playback in RA. Everything plays fine in UAPP though. I’ve tried messing with many settings to see if anything changes including restarting my phone. I also tried RA USB Dac Beta option and the app froze. Restarted tried opening the app again and when pressing play the app froze again.

Device is Galaxy Fold 3 with Apple USB-C dongle.

This is a bit confusing as those software don’t work together in concert. As has been noted the Android USB drive in in BETA with many issues still to sorted out. I cannot/have not yet been able to get ARC to play to a variety of usb Dac dongles (including Samsung’s official one) without the app crashing using Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra.

That is why UAPP is my go to player since it integrates with Qobuz, plays without issue to my USB DAC dongles, and I have over 512 gb of music on my phone already.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion. I opened UAPP for enabling hardware volume full output. I read somewhere that making sure the hardware volume was up in UAPP would allow other apps to work at full volume so that was the reason for the test. Without UAPP volume turned up, Roon Arc output was too low by itself. However, with it enabled the volume limit was gone but with noise that I described above.

I don’t issue with iFi Go Bar as you can see the signal path… So far I don’t encounter any issue since I switched for many months now… For both PCM and DSD

I’m using OnePlus 11 running on Android 13.

Replying to my own post.

Today, I have tried the latest version (221) of Roon ARC and it appears to have resolved the USB connection issues that I was previously seeing. It may be too early to say that they are ‘gone’ but they are certainly much much less frequent.

Good news, I have not tested it with my FIIO KA2 but I will give it a try.
It was constantly crashing with my Pixel 7 Pro previously.

Sadly I spoke too soon :slightly_frowning_face: It worked this morning for 15 mins or so but now it is back to the same old behaviour. When set to use the BETA USB driver, ARC looses USB communication after about 20 to 30 seconds and I have to wait to the ‘use USB for ARC’ message appears before I can connect and the restart the queue playing.

Back to disabling the BETA USB driver and putting up with conversion to 48kS/s for me. Fortunately using ARC with a USB DAC connected is not some I do regularly - more often I am using a BT connection to IEM’s or the car audio system so it does not unduly impact me.

Hi I have a brand new Motorola Edge 40 (I had a wonderful LG V30 but I can’t run ARC on it). I have a pair of Hifiman Headphones with Bluemini DAC integrated. I connected it to my phone and ran ARC with BETA USB driver enabled but ARC still downsamples everything to 48KHz. Even on UAPP I also can get bitperfect upon 48KHz With the same Bluemini I have no problem connecting it to Windows via USB to play up to 24-192. Is it related to the smartphone limit or it nay be related to Bluemini?
I’m waiting for a Chord Mojo2 to arrive and I am afraid that with the Motorola I won’t be able to go past 24 48…

So I spent at least an hour today trying unsuccessfully to pass bitperfect audio from ARC through a Samsung A8 tablet to a Topping NX4 DAC. Best I got was down sampled and distorted audio.

Any chance Android v. 14, which is supposedly coming to the A8 in February will fix this?

Also, could someone who has successfully configured bitperfect on an Android tablet please share the necessary settings (both in tablet and ARC)?

Have you turned on the Beta USB driver in settings?

It’s not on in mine as it crashes on Google devices running Android 14 (it did work on my previous OnePlus 9 Pro well enough)

I thought this was a Google Pixel 6,7 and 8 issue rather than a general Android 14. Granted my Pixel 6 will not run the beta USB driver integration using Android 14 but it didn’t work with Android 13 either.

Well given that pretty much all modern Google Pixel devices are running Android 14, it might not matter.

My Pixel 6A and 7 Pro both initially worked with ARC USB drivers without issue, but something broke both of them, which might be well before Android 14 was released in one of the Google QPR or a ARC update. One day they worked and then none of them work

1 Like