ARC bit-perfect in Android phone! [To External USB-DAC]

Yes, thanks. Read somewhere that v.14 was supposed to allow greater control over usb audio but perhaps I shouldn’t get my hopes up. And maybe I should bite the bullet on USB Audio Player Pro…

Theoretically it is, but there doesn’t seem to be much of it in reality.
For some strange reason Google seems to take 18-30 months to get anything working reliably on a large scale and that sometimes requires starting again twice :face_with_peeking_eye::thinking:

A lot of people really like USB Audio Player Pro and it would probably be a good choice if bit perfect is something you really want.

I have used it for years and years.

I didn’t want to put you as a fan, always better when we out ourselves :flushed::face_with_peeking_eye:

ARC works fine in my car with iPhone.

But on my DAP - FiiO M11 Plus - I have to use USB Audio Player Pro :frowning:

Torben

I could really use some help getting this working. I have:
A new Pixel 8 running Android 14
A higher end (but not “new”) Samsung Tab S6 running Android 12
An entry level (but “newer”) Samsung A8 running Android 13
A very old Pixel 2 (still have free photo and video storage!!) running Android 11

I can’t get reliable (or any) playback on my Schiit Jotunheim via the BETA USB driver on any of them… It was working, pretty unreliably, when I first installed it, but that ended fairly quickly.

I get all kinds of different (and unreliably presented) prompts about “always open Roon Arc when connected to Schiit Jotunheim” and “Allow Schiit Jotunheim to control” (or something to that extent), I always say yes to the “control” prompt, I often say no to the “always open” (because if it isn’t going to work properly I don’t want to configure my phone or tablet to always try to do something that doesn’t work properly)…

At least on the two devices I care about (Pixel 8 phone and TabS6 tablet), playback thru arc is pretty reliable as long as I disable BETA driver and just let it resample to 16 bit 48 khz… USB Audio Player Pro works pretty reliably on both of these devices, so at least to some extent I know the hardware is capable… Is the reason why Roon ARC isn’t working user error on my part? Is there some setting(s) that I need to find/use in addition to turning the BETA usb driver on? Is there a sequencing that works best (set abc to xyz first, connect device to schiit jotunheim next, etc)?

Any help/advice/tips anyone has would be appreciated. It’s nice that USB APP works, but I’d (much) prefer to use Roon…

Hi Timothy I would also like it to work, but it seems to have gotten worse over time and not improved sorry.

Roon seem to have been busy fixing other things (rightly so in my mind) and has not been focusing on the the USB driver in recent times.

I have it disabled on all my devices now as it seems to be the only way I can get things working reliably.

Probably not the answer you want

1 Like

No an answer is better than no answer! Really what I wanted was a little peace-of-mind as to whether or not it was user error (my fault) or not… and this gives me that! Thank you.

I agree, though, my primary use for Roon, personally, is as a remote for wireless control of my whole-home-audio and two HiFi rigs. And it’s great for that… I just wish I could (on occassion) rely on it for bit-perfect output via USB to my headphone rig (which I admittedly don’t use very much, but when I do, it’d be nice…).

Thanks again.

1 Like

No problem and I think Roon has put some good effort into making ARC reliable again after months of being unusable for many of us.

I am hopeful there will be more work on USB and not perfect this year to get us where we want to be.

1 Like

Without wanting to put a fly in the ointment, I’m using Arc on a Google Pixel 7a running Android 14. I have the USB Driver feature enabled to listen with headphones through my DragonFly Red DAC, and so far, I’ve had no issues and Arc hasn’t crashed once.

1 Like

There seems to be a small number of DACS that do work, but there is not a full list available as far as I am aware.
Sadly none of my multiple DACS work on any of my Google phones :worried:

3 Likes

Luckily arc sounds really good through my iFi Go Blu using BT into FIIO FH7 IEMs so I doubt bother with the USB.

Very nice, I have given up for now and gone back to my Sony over ear via BT headphones which gives me LDAC which I have been pretty happy with the sound of using ARC

4 Likes

I have a Pixel 8 Pro on Android 14 and an iFi Go Bar. Initially, the dac would cut out every 30 - 50 seconds or so when I was using ARC’s BETA USB driver. There’s a thread out there where Roon suggested turning on Developer options and then Enabling the ‘Disable USB audio routing’ setting for Pixel devices.

This has worked well for me when using ARC and the BETA USB driver. Changing the developer setting may cause audio issues with other apps if you still have the dac connected. It’s a bit of a pain but toggling the developer setting back will fix it.

Impatient DAP user here! iBasso 320. Are we any closer to getting ARC to work fully with DAPs?

1 Like

Which Jotunheim DAC card do you have? I recently switched to the multibit card (the one with USB-C) and it works for my Pixel 6-Pro+Android 14, the older card did not work at all.

2 Likes

I don’t know the specifics (I could get them, I think? Probably written somewhere on it), but I know it’s not “newer”. It’s a USB-B, for one thing, and I went with the cheaper D/S DAC (not the multibit card)…

Update - I think it is an “AK4490” DAC chip, fwiw…

Yeap that model does not work.

Been waiting over year for bit perfect playback on Fiio DAP. Any news at all?

2 Likes

Another user mentioned this above, but for those of you using new Pixels (or other Android 14 devices) who experience the 90 second DAC disconnection issue, please try disabling USB audio routing.

This worked for me and I have since experienced zero issues.