ARC connectivity issues with TPlink MR6400 4G router

Roon Server Machine

Roon server is in an iMacPro, 32 GB RAM, MacOS

Networking Gear & Setup Details

TP Link MR6400 4G Router. Connected to the Roon Server by ethernet cable straight to the router. No VPN

1. Who is your internet service provider? EE UK

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router? TPLINK MR6400 4G Router

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches? No

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security? No

Connected Audio Devices

Roon server is my iMac Pro, connected wired straight to the 4G router. Nothing is interfering between the Roon server and the router.

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?
{
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“31.aaa.nnn.xxx”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“null”,“router_external_ip”:“10.84.145.15”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.1.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

I am trying to get ARC working for accessing out of home but I can’t do it with my current TPLink mr6400 4G router. I did it before with other non 4G routers and it worked without any issue, just setting properly the Port Triggering. But I don’t know why I can’t make this work with this router. I’ve set Port Triggering, UpnP is automatically configured, I’ve removed the router firewall, even using DMZ which is a extreme solution and anything of this worked. The iMacPro firewall is disconnected. I have Plex and it’s not working either out of home so I am guessing it’s something on the router configuration but I don’t know what.

No idea what is happening here. Can you please help me? :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

The issue here is MultipleNatFound. Do you have more than 2 routers?

There is more than one network address translation (NAT) layer active, preventing port forwarding from working although the port forwarding on the router is configured by UPnP.

MultipleNatFound can occur either at the local-network level (commonly as a result of two routers), or at the level of your service provider (in the form of carrier-grade NAT). [Comment Suedkiez: Or it could be both at the same time]

If your setup involves an ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination) and your own third-party router:

• In the web administration interface of the ISP-provided gateway (modem/router combination), enable Bridge Mode or equivalent, where the ISP-provided gateway does not have DHCP routing enabled.
  • Alternatively, if you have already created a manual port forwarding rule in your 3rd party router, you can add an additional rule to forward the port through the ISP/second router.

If you only have one router in your setup or your modem is already in Bridge mode, please take a look through our list of known router and internet service provider solutions, as other users may have already encountered the same situation: ISPs and Routers: List of Known Solutions and Workarounds

You can reach out directly to your service provider to ask if they support port forwarding; this question will often enough to prompt them to explain whether or not the carrier-grade NAT they’ve implemented can function with ARC.

More specifically, you can pass along the following questions:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level?
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding? [If the support people are clueless: Every online gamer needs the same thing, e.g. for a PlayStation]
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?
1 Like

You say the router is a TpLink MR6400 4G Router. Does this mean that you are using a 4G connected internet service from EE?

If so, the issue is that the mobile internet service offered by EE (and most other mobile phone networks in the UK) uses CG-NAT which is incompatible with port forwarding.

There are only two solutions to this:

1. Change your broadband provider to a ADSL/VDSL/FTTP service from a provider that does not use CG-NAT (preferrred but admittedly not always possible depending upon your situation).
  2. Subscribe to a VPN service that offers a non-CG-NAT service and ip address. The one often recommended on these forums is Tailscale. You can create a personal account for free. Wtih tailscale, you will run a Tailscale VPN client on your iMac Pro Roon Server and then you should be able to use ARC.
2 Likes

Hi Formula, thank you very much for your great explanation.

Regarding that, yes I do have two routers but they are in different networks at home, the one with the Roon server just have connection with that 4G router that I mentioned. The WIFI network from the other router in the list of WIFI available on the machine with the Roon Server -my iMacPro-, of course but it’s not connected, as I mentioned to any other router than the 4G. So, no idea why the MultipleNatFound jumps here.

I’ll have a look at the rest of your explanations and also I’ll prepare those questions to my provider because this connection is a mobile one, as I said, 4G/5G. Maybe that’s the issue, this is not a VSLD or Fibre normal connection, it’s a mobile one. I don’t have a great VSLD connection at home -not fibre at all-, I live in a rural area, so I’ve managed to install a 4G/5G outdoor antenna with much better uploading and downloading speed and also more stability. So again, maybe that’s the issue, the mobile connection.

Anyway, thank you again and keep you posted!!

1 Like

Hi Wade_Oram, thanks for taking the time to answer me.

Ah I knew something like that would be the issue. Yes, as I mentioned to Formula in my answer, this is a mobile connection because the VDSL internet connection at home is rubbish -don’t mention fibre, we don’t know what it’s that around here :D- so I’ve managed to install an outdoor 4G/5G antenna and we have at least a decent uploading and downloading speed.

So well, having a look at those two solutions you mention, the first solution is not possible because as I said, the internet connection, BT wired, VDSL, is rubbish. I have contract with Vodafone for this one, which is not bad for some things but for example, it’s a nightmare using it for my work -working from home almost 98% of my professional time-, that’s why I have the 4G connection installed.

Regarding the second solution you mentioned, do you know if NordVPN has a non-CG-NAT service and IP address? I have an active account with them. if not, I’ll try Tailscale as you suggest.

Thank you again!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Santiago_Molina,

NordVPN and TailScale differ int their implementation, but both rely on Wireguard for secure NAT Traversal (which should allow you to get through CG-NAT).

Long story short, ARC will probably work with either VPN, but we’re more familiar on this forum with Tailscale’s setup on common RoonServer and ARC machines.

Tailscale is quite simple - you’d simply install in the server and client machine (iMac and your phone), and then verify that both are connecting to the same subnet in the Tailscale administration page. If you need help, we’ll move this post to Tinkering where the Tailscale experts reside. It’s technically an unofficial workaround.

2 Likes

Hi @connor, @Wade_Oram and @Formula, thank you again for your help. As Wade suggested and connor said, I’ve installed TailScale in the Roon Server, my iMacPro and in the iPhone too and it’s working :slight_smile: Both are connected now and I can use ARC out of home.

This is great guys! I can’t appreciate much this. Also, the discover of TailScale is great, love it.

Thank you again!!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.