ARC is simply unusable for me

You could also consider switching to another mobile provider with better network coverage.

1 Like

for me the main thing was to ensure that the streaming-quality settings are set properly for cellular.

Early on I had a few blips when it was set too high, but when I lowered the quality (still sounds plenty great in the car), i had no problem.

1 Like

I’ve disabled UPnP and tried your solution of adding the port forwarding rule manually, as I’ve been having the same exact problem as you and OP.

When I had UPnP enabled, Roon would automatically create another port forwarding rule in the router, even after I deleted theirs from the system, in an attempt to only have my manual rule. So now, with UPnP disabled, only my manual port forwarding rule is in the router. I’m curious to see if this helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

I had enough already with roon arc, since day one it has been very unstable for me, any other day I have to reset roon arc app and after that it start working the way it’s supposed to also I have had to restart my synology 920 where I have roon core installed in other to keep it going. Every roon arc update is the same, nothing changes. I’ve been searching and reading a lot on the web and I came to realize that people with a large library like myself have this issue. I switched back to Plex using Plexamp on ios because it always work flawlessly. For now, I’m just gonna wait on many more updates to see if they can fix this issue because I want to use Roon, I love the UI and everything on this software but I’m tired of rebooting and resetting.

3 Likes

Roon with a large library needs a good CPU and plenty of RAM, something not all NAS devices have looking at the specs of this machine it looks to be under Roons minimum spec which I would guess is struggling with the extra duties ARC brings. Plex server demands are not as high as Roons overall so it might run better.

I agree maybe that’s my problem running roon server on a synology but again there are hundreds of posts with the same issue I wonder if all of them are running roon server on a minimum specs machine or Nas. Maybe the next thing I’m gonna try is setting roon server on a new Mac mini but at the moment is a little pricey for a test.

Not saying ARC isn’t without issues, but its far from unusable for me and many others, been pretty solid over all unless their server goes down. I do use ROCK on a decent 7th series i7 and 16gb RAM. I hope you manage to find a working solution.

Before moving my Core to my Lenovo laptop (Zorin Linux Pro, 8th gen i7 quad core CPU, 16 gb of RAM and 1 tb SSD), I was successfully running my Core on a 2017 MacBook Air (macOS Big Sur, later Monterey, 5th gen i5 dual core CPU, 8 gb of RAM and 256 gb SSD).

It ran pretty well on the Mac with my local music stored on an external USB 3.0 hard drive. But switching to the Lenovo sped up the whole Roon experience by a lot.

ARC worked fine on both systems though. My 2020 iPhone SE didn’t have any problems connecting, after I sorted out the path forwarding in my routers.

Roon Arc working great for me, except… on holiday and realizing my new Pixel 7 phone doesn’t have a headphone jack, lol (my laptop does)! Progress…

I suppose I can borrow my son’s Sony 1000’s I just bought him for his birthday. Might not want to give them back though. :smirk:

1 Like

I’m curious to try roon core on another set up. But for instance if would know that fix my problem I would consider buying a Mac mini but right now I’m going to sit and watch what’s gonna happen.

I use Nord VPN’s Meshnet to get around problems with my FiOS Router … No real issues with ARC since. going with that…

Well after upgrading to my iPhone SE from a Nokia 7.2, I’ve also ran into this issue. But oh well. Bluetooth earbuds are good enough when at work. And no cables getting stuck between the phone and the headphones.

If you have another computer lying around you could try installing a Core on there and test it out.

My library isn’t very large compared to some others here, but both my Mac and my Lenovo can handle a library of this size without issues.

Do you have anything sitting around? Old laptop, etc? It’s surprising how much a dedicated machine can do, even if at lower end of specs (vs. under-spec’ed, which is where my Synology was).

1 Like

At the moment I don’t have another computer but I’m going to try to get one and try it out. I’ll keep you posted.

My only suggestion is that splashing out on a new Mac Mini is a lot more than borrowing a disused Windows laptop from a friend. Totally up to you obviously!

1 Like

Agreed nothing better than an up today system

Oh, what a long thread with no real solution!
I make the same experience for months and have given up: “Bad connection, please repeat”! Inside with WLAN it seems to work, but outside of the WIFI of the ROON-Server it neither works with any WIFI or 4G. No idea on what do do.
I would expect a more clear failure message which makes sense for a solution of the problem!
Felix

Yep, I walk my dog 3.5 miles daily and have tried ARC multiple times only to give up because it’s simply does not connect even though I have a full strength signal on my phone. It may work for one song then gone in a flash. I always resort to iTunes to play the music already on my phone simply because it always works!

Plexamp is a great alternative/backup solution if you are a Plex Pass member. That is always my fallback.

1 Like