ARC - No Tags - Possible Workaround?

Hi, I’ve posted before about how limiting I find ARC without the same tag functionality as Roon, which I use A LOT at home.

Recently, I thought I’d see if I could ‘dump’ the contents of a tag into a playlist, for use away from home. But it doesn’t appear there’s any easy way to do this either. However, it looks tantalisingly close, see grab. I can select an entire Tag, and there’s an ‘add to playlist’ option, but it’s greyed out…

Could this be enabled relatively easily?

But there IS tag functionality - not as a menu item, but through ‘focus on tags’ and ‘add to tag’ under albums, tracks, artists etc. Guess you are looking for additional functionality? Bulk selection / actions maybe?

You’d have to go into the tag contents, select all, then add that to a playlist.

That doesn’t work. ‘Select all’ is not available, but you can check every individual item, zzzzz…

@Ozzie, correct. I want to see all items tagged X in one place. Essentially as a ‘master playlist’. Yes I can add to tag, but what’s the point if I can’t see that tag? Just looked, and can’t find ‘focus on tags’ anywhere?

As Apple regularly demonstrate, if a useful feature is improperly implemented, it’s worse than useless, because it generates false hope, and leads only to disappointment. I have tags for all kinds of situations, gatherings, friends and groupings etc. They’ve transformed my listening, and I don’t even bother with playlists anymore. So their effective absence from ARC is a problem for me. And it’s especially galling because I don’t think the implementation can be that hard…

But thanks for your input.

Select the first album, then shift select the last album.

OK, that does work, to select all, thanks. Thought I’d tried that already, but I guess not. Cmd-A perhaps, that def doesn’t work.

However, the immediate ‘add to playlist’ is greyed out, but the option at top left isn’t. A pop-up tells me that 87 items have been added to the selected playlist, but…the playlist is still empty!

Your selected Tag is used for 31 albums, 54 tracks, 1 composition, and 1 playlist. You will probably need to de-select the 1 playlist in order to add all of that content to a playlist, because playlists can’t be nested as far as I know. After you do that, you s/b able to go into that 1 playlists and all all of that content to your other playlist. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for that, but still doesn’t work. Even a relatively small tag, with no albums or playlists, just a few tracks. Says they’ve been added, but they haven’t… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The focus on tags in Arc is located in artist/album/track view.

Go to albums, at the top left corner there is the tag icon (next to heart). Click that and focus on tag(s). You can shuffle play the result if you wish

1 Like

Ah, OK, found it, that kinda works! Better than anything else tbf, thank you :ok_hand:

Missed that, but see that @Moonshiner already picked it up.

You are going about it the wrong way. The Tag view is potentially made of up objects not Playlistable. What you need to do is start with the Tracks page, select the Tag focus, then select all and Add to Playlist.

1 Like

Playlistable. That’s the word I was looking for. I actually think the composition isn’t playlistable either.

HALLELUJAH! Thanks Dan, that worked perfectly! I’m now a very happy man, and deeply grateful to you, Ozzie, Thomas & DDPS for helping me resolve this long-simmering bugbear so quickly. Have a great weekend everybody :hugs:

And yep, ‘playlistable’ now added to my dictionary!

1 Like

I say that because you can tag an artist or genre with the same tag as a track or an album.