ARC not working after server change

I have just switched my NUC Roon Server to a Macbook Pro temporaily while I make some changes to a room. I followed all the guidlines for this and the MBP is working fine as a server in the house but ARC fails to connect from outside the house. IP addresses have been kept the same, portforwarding the same and the firewall on the MBP is turned off but ARC just fails to find the Roon server, any ideas what I am missing please?

What do you mean that the ‘ip addresses have been kept the same’?

If you mean that the ip address of the MBP has not changed, then you will need to change any explicit port forwarding rule to forward to the MBP ip address instead of the NUC ip address. Whilst you are checking this, it would be a good idea to check that the MBP Roon server is configured (in Roon → Settings → ARC) to use the same port for ARC. If not, the port forwarding rule will have to be modified for the changed port as well.

Alternatively, if you are using uPnP to configure port forwarding, and the MBP Roon server is using the same port as the NUC was for ARC, then you may need to reboot the router (with the NUC turned off) and then restart the MBP Roon server so that the old port forwarding rule is cleared out and thus does not conflict with the rule that the MBP is attempting to configure using uPnP.

However, if, by ’ ip address have not been changed’ you mean that you have configured the MBP to use the ip address previously used by the NUC, then the likely issue is the ARC port has changed.

A few more details - like a screen shot of the Roon → Settings → ARC page on the Roon Desktop and a copy of any diagnostic text would help us to help further.

1 Like

Hi and thanks for reply.

NUC is switched off and disconnected, MBP is on a fixed IP address which is the one the NUC was using, port forwarding on the router is set to what the NUC was using and agrees with what is in the ARC settings in Roon so I am confused! I’m at work currently so unable to take screen shots till later.

Rebooting the router and then restarting Roon Server on the MBP may help.

Reset the ARC app and start again. It tends to get messed up moving servers I find.

1 Like

Check the ARC port number hasn’t changed.

This appeared to be the issue. Reinstalled the App and all seems to be working again now! Thanks all :+1:t2::sunglasses:

1 Like