Arc Setup help with mobile router and dynamic IP

Roon Core Machine

MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019

Networking Gear & Setup Details

HUAWEI 5G CPE Pro

5g Wifi with EE

Connected Audio Devices

Bluetooth speakers / Arc (attempting it)

Number of Tracks in Library

300 ish

Description of Issue

I was amazed this morning to discover Arc, I used to have Roon but cancelled my subscription because this feature was a deal breaker for me and it’s amazing to see it’s now a reality.

I live on a canal boat and have to have a mobile router which uses an EE simcard for 5g wifi. EE only provides a dynamic IP. When I try to set up Roon for arc I receive

{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“xxxx”,“router_external_ip”:null},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”}
}

Has anyone else managed to set up Roon core with a mobile broadband router? I’m not sure how to port forward, perhaps that could be a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated! My router also displays some message about being in CLAT mode (which I have no idea what that means)… It tells me this message on all the pages that seem to relate to this issue such as the tabs for UPNP and NAT (both of which I also have no idea what they mean)

So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated, I’m not to IT savvy, but hoping it can be done.

Thanks!

It is highly likely that your mobile network provider is using Carrier-grade NAT. You can see that if you can compare your public IP with your WAN IP (on the info page of your router). If both don’t match, your ISP uses CGNAT and it’s probably why you won’t be able to use ARC as long as you don’t have a dedicated public IP.

Your ISP will need to give you a public IP address (either static or dynamic) for ARC to work. Can you check with them whether they are doing this?

1 Like

Would you be willing to try TailScale, it is a form of VPN that might enable you to circumvent the need for port forwarding.

I can’t give any guarantees, but it might be worth a go.

Thanks for the replies, @Geoff_Coupe you were right!

And it seems they can’t offer a dedicated pubic IP

@Glimmer I’ll look into TailScale, never heard of it, but would be great if I could somehow get this all working… If not I’ll have to think of some other workarounds like changing providers…

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.