Arc + UniFi + Teleport beats CGNAT!

Just thought I’d post this here as it may help others.

I was struggling with getting Arc working my UniFi Dream Machine Pro.

It turns out that the problem was the dreaded CGNAT issue!

So, I was looking into Tailscale as possible solution.

Then I remembered that UniFi has a feature called Teleport.

Simply download the UniFi WiFiman app on your mobile, go to the Teleport tab and hit the On button.

The first time you do this it will add a VPN profile (at least on a iOS device). You also have to make sure it’s enabled on the UDM in the settings.

But that’s it. Zero configuration or need to setup separate VPN services and it works with Rock. I can now access Arc outside my home and it works nice and fast.

As far as Roon is concerned, Arc still cannot see the outside world but Arc connects like it’s on the local network so works perfectly!

4 Likes

In that case, wouldn’t Room Remote deliver a better experience for you? (Unless you want to down res the music)

Well, it looks like I can use Roon Remote to browse and play music on my home devices but not on my phone since it’s not really local and, therefore, not connected to Roon Server and showing as an endpoint/audio device.

With Arc I play content on my phone and, importantly, download music to my device.

Yes, you can. However, by default, mobile devices are private zones, and will not be displayed on other remotes. Change this behaviour in the device settings.

1 Like

Actually, it now shows my phone as an endpoint (as a private zone, without any settings changes), whereas before, it wasn’t. I just jumped to a (poor) conclusion before.

So, yes, both Arc and Remote work remotely via Teleport.

I am still going to use Arc, though, as it seems to make more sense from a UI perspective when listening to music on the move… :wink:

It will likley disappear again. Roon app over VPN is a bit precarious for playback as RAAT uses different discovery protocols that dont usually traverse VPN connections. I use Tailscale for something similair 99% of the time it wont see the local zone on the phone but will work for remote with no issues, then randomly it will show up. I think its if you have connected prior to it being on home lan and then switched to VPN it keeps the previous stae of the audio path. A reboot of phone will likely lose it or when you connect another time. This is nothing to do with private zones as thats only to hide the phone from other remotes running on the network not hide it on the device.

1 Like