ARC with Android Auto - no covers in offline mode (all builds so far)

This problem exists since the beginning of ARC (as far as I remember). It was reported a few times but without follow-up.

When using ARC with Android Auto in offline mode no covers (nor other graphics are displayed) on car display. That happens regardless of whether ARC on mobile phone contains and displays it in normal quality, low quality or doesn’t display it at all.

The only exception is when you start listening in online mode and then go offline. Then one cover is displayed properly.

Are you aware of that problem? Any plans to fix it?

The same happens (at least for some people?) with regular ARC (not Auto) as well:

I also experience that problem with plain ARC but it’s slightly different. Some (very few) graphics are displayed in normal quality, some other in low quality and many are not displayed at all.

With Android Auto it’s 100% predictable - covers are never displayed.

3 Likes

Roon people, any comment on that bug?

?
/10chars

Hi, @Piotr_Pekala, sorry for the late reply here. The QA team is going to take a look at this one.

Thanks!

Ivan

1 Like

Do you have any update on this?

Hi, @Piotr_Pekala, there is a ticket which is still with our dev team which potentially might improve the situation in this area. However, unfortunately, I am not sure when it going to be finished :frowning:

Thanks!

Ivan

No change in ARC B260 after that fix

Unfortunately that doesn’t apply to offline AA experience in B264. Still no covers are displayed when playback get initiated in offline mode.

Hey @Piotr_Pekala !

Let’s clarify a few things:

1. Does the playlist contain some streaming service tracks that are not downloaded? Or does it contain only local tracks?
  2. Do you enable the Offline mode in the settings, or just connect the phone to Android Auto without mobile internet enabled?
  3. Maybe you have certain actions when connecting your phone to Android Auto?

Asking because I can`t reproduce the issue you are facing.

Thanks,
Andrew

No playlists are typically involved. I’m just playing downloaded albums/tracks (from Downloads section in 99% of cases)

Typically I just connect the phone to AA without connection to Core (with mobile internet enabled). ARC port is not exposed over Internet in my installation.
For testing purposes I tried a few times to put ARC in offline mode - haven’t noticed any difference.

Don’t think so. Additional observation is AA experience depends slightly on whether you enter car with ARC started on mobile phone or not - but covers are not visible in both cases.

Not sure if this is helpful. But, I noticed that tidal also looses album covers if there is no internet while using CarPlay (say, you’re driving through a dead spot).

1 Like