ARC with Ubiquiti Home Network

Roon Core Machine

Simply cannot get ARC to Port Forward and work. I need to know what default settings to change.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

1. Who is your internet service provider?
    Xfinity 1.2gig speed

2. Please list the make and model of your modem and router?

3. Do you have any additional network hardware, like additional routers or managed switches?
    UniFi Switches

4. Does your network have any VPNs, proxy servers, or enterprise-grade security?
    No

Connected Audio Devices

None

Description of Issue -

What is the exact port forwarding error message you see in the Roon Settings → ARC tab?

(just another Ubiquiti/UniFI user): which router do you have? The UniFi switches play no role here, just the router(s).

2 Likes

I wrote this some time back but not realize it may not be accessible to everyone so I’ll bring it forward

I don’t have UPnP turned on in my router so I have to configure the port forwarding manually. I use the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter and here are the notes from my configuration.

Port forwarding from Internet to an internal IP is done via NAT rules and Ubiquiti references these NAT rules as “destination” rules. More info here: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/205231700-EdgeRouter-Destination-NAT

Address Example:

• Routable / Public Internet IP: 203.0.113.1
  • Roon Core IP: 192.0.2.1
  • Port to forward: 55000
  • Internet facing interface: eth1
  • Roon facing interface: eth2

Firewall Example:

• Internet facing zone: INTERNET
  • Roon Core zone: ROON

Configuration:
The NAT rule looks like this:

rule 100 {
     description "Roon mobile port forward"
     destination {
         address 203.0.113.1
         port 55000
     }
     inbound-interface eth1
     inside-address {
         address 192.0.2.1
         port 55000
     }
     protocol tcp
     type destination
 }

I also use a Zone Based Firewall configuration which I’ll share here as well. Do note, this is not a full zbf config. This is just the part I added to make Roon work. I’m assuming you already have a working firewall from inside out and these rules will open holes for outside to come in.

zoon-policy

zone ROON {
     default-action reject
     from INTERNET {
         firewall {
             name roonForward
         }
     }
     interface eth2
 }

firewall name roonForward

default-action reject
 rule 101 {
     action accept
     destination {
         address 192.0.2.1
         port 55000
     }
     protocol tcp
}

Happy mobile Roon’ing
Happy ARC’ing

1 Like

I have the UDM Pro router.

I have a UDM at one location. If the UDM Pro software is similar, you can either enable UPnP on the Internet page for your network (if you are comfortable with that), or create a NAT port forwarding rule on the Firewall & Security page (which I’ve done). However, that won’t be enough if your UDM Pro gets internet from a standard Xfiniti endpoint, because the Xfiniti endpoint will by default also do NAT, that is, you have the curse of “double NAT.” Unfortunately, the UDM (and the UDM Pro?) does not support bridge mode, so you really need to configure both the UDM and the Xfiniti internet endpoint with port forwarding rules (which is what I had to do, not with Xfiniti but a different ISP).

1 Like

You can ignore my post. UDM runs different router software. You’ll need to use the menus to set-up port forwarding.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.