Architecture Roon in network

Hi, I’m new to Roon. I use Roon since several days, and it works well and improved the SQ. Nevertheless, a question arises regarding the architecture of Roon.

I use a Windows laptop as Roon Server. My music is partly stored on a NAS (Synology EDS14) which streams (streamed?) to a iFi ZEN streamer.

The question is: does the Roon Server command the NAS to send the data to the streamer or command the streamer to get its data from the NAS, or streams the Roon Server the data from the NAS to the iFi streamer?

I’m curious.

The Roon Server reads the music files from the NAS, converts them to PCM, performs DSP if this is enabled, and sends the resulting PCM data to the output / streamer.

1 Like

Thank you, Suedkiez.
It seems to be a step extra. Although I don’t use DSP via ROON, and all my files are already in PCM, you might wonder how ROON enhances SQ - as long as the PC-connection to the network is hard wired and not WiFi.
For now, i’m OK with this system setup.

There’s a reason for this. It makes lightweight endpoints possible because they don’t need to do any work, and they don’t need codec support.

It is bit perfect (if you don’t enable DSP), so it won’t enhance anything compared to other bit-perfect players, apart from possible implementation differences on the endpoint.

Letting everything go through the server and streaming PCM to the endpoint has higher network demands than implementations that decode FLAC on the endpoint

1 Like

Thanks for your explanations. I’ll stay on this road!
Felix

1 Like