Archive.org stream-only?

Anyone figured out how to play stream-only archive.org shows?
e.g. https://archive.org/details/gd74-06-18.sbd.sacks.209.sbefail.shnf

1 Like

In Roon there is no way it’s not an internet radio stream.

Yet you can stream internet radio …

Because internet radio is a URL to the active stream not an embedded website player which this site is. Its not a live ogg or hls stream. Very different technology. The site allows casting so if you have a Chromecast it would stream to your hifi.

The site page contains links to individual mp3 and ogg URLs.
After undoing a re-direction it is possible to add the mp3s individually to Roon radio. Which then play as individual radio stations. Quite a hassle. I don’t recommend it.
Better to download (where allowed) the flac files and add these to your library or, if not, cast as @CrystalGipsy says.

I wondered about this too. Archive is a terrific site, it would be great if you could stream it through Roon. I understand that it’s not really feasible.

Integration with archive.org would be amazing. More Grateful Dead.

2 Likes

Hey! So the playlist format the Internet Archive uses (m3u) can be pretty trivially transformed into the playlist format Roon uses for radio. One could set up a web service to turn any given Archive URL into a station (so 1 Dead show = 1 station).

But is that what you want? To add a custom station for a given show? Or do you want a station that plays random Dead shows from the Internet Archive?

1 Like

I’d love to be able to do this as well.

1 Like

@Brian_Cohen agree with you just found 4.18.70 outing at Family Dog at the Great Highway… all acoustic set done on the day I got married!! I also downloaded ALL their live recordings of the first time they ever sang a song LIVE… those recordings are a HOOT. Just wish there was a way to get those Archives.org soundboards into ROON simply and easily bobbmd

HI @BrianW BrianW I just asked similar question on support… I found a Grateful Dead at Family Dog at the Great Highway from 4.18.1970 the day I got married! An all acoustic set would love to put that into my ROON library EASILY and BTW I love new ver 1.8 especially that ‘dark mode’-- nice job by all of you bobbmd

Many shows on Archive.org are Stream-only – I’d simply like the ability to select and play these via Roon …

Right – that’s the point. There currently is no way; I was hoping that roon support would pick this up as a feature request.