Are there any experts in setting/adjusting the Clipping function in the DSP sectionL

Ever since I started using Roon’s feature to install Convolutions for Room Correction, I have run into a couple of recordings that exhibit a slight audible distortion on certain passages. I did not know if part of my system was failing or needed repair. While fooling around with the DSP function, I played with the Clipping setting, which I never had done before. I went with the suggested -3 setting and low and behold…the distortion disappeared! I have played with adjusting this setting to see the general effect on my Music. Well #1, I’m happy that I seem to have no equipment issues and #2 it seems to have a larger benefit to all my music overall…it’s the best my equipment has ever sounded especially in the low frequencies…Just an FYI to folks who use Convolutions in their Roon setup!

I would still love to hear from experts on this Clipping setting and how to accurately set it based on the ability to actually see when the system clips (it lights up red) while playing.

If using Qobuz, add this set of test signals to your library …

RoonShareImage-638209790043882971

turn down your volume! and cue up “White Noise 0dB” while having your DSP wizardry turned on.
You’ll instantly see, if you’ve got a clipping problem!
If so, keep lowering “Headroom adjustment” value until there’s no red indication.

You’re done!
Have fun…

1 Like

When using any DSP you need to apply headroom management or you run the risk of clipping samples. Even though HAF applies headroom attenuation in his filters (Thierry doesn’t apply gains only reductions) you can can still run into the odd track that is going to clip in Roon. Apply what is needed to stop it this could be as low as an additional -1dB or more. It’s more problematic with heavily compressed sources that push much of the track to 0dB.

1 Like

I do not believe that white noise will work ideally. Because a frequency domain transform of white noise would put each individual frequency down around -40 dBFS. Only the full bandwidth would sum to 0 dBFS.

Would not a 0 dBFS full bandwidth sweep work better for identifying frequency dependent clipping in a convolution or parametric filter?

AJ

1 Like

So if I read the suggestions right, I keep adding (subtracting?) more attenuation until the little Red light stops blinking? So I guess it’s not at all like a VU meter that can occasionally bounce into the Red?

But then is this done globally to your entire library right…not per album or even track? As previously said Im a huge believer in HAF and Thierry’s filter building skills. I’d much rather employ HAF than another electronic box. It’s great to read the Roonies chipping in to assist my query …I really appreciate it!!!

It’s global nothing in Roons DSP engine is per album or track it’s across it all.

1 Like

I may have cooked the few brain cells, containing my scarce knowledge about the respective matter, during my first whole day out in the sun today, so bear with me…
:sun_with_face: :fried_egg: :brain:
Isn’t real world, band limited digital 0dB, white noise a random signal having equal intensity at different frequencies, giving it a constant power spectral density, and when measured, the maximum level at each frequency will be 0dB?

Beauty would be seeing clipping occurrences quite constantly, compared to using a sweep.

Just seemingly endlessly played respective test signals from Qobuz, as well as ones generated by REW, while using my roon-dynamic-range-metering-bridge and Roon’s clipping indicator.

Got really confused for a while, as I still had crossfade and volume leveling on, interfering strangely sporadically with testing.

But there must be some truth to your comment, because I could set digital gain higher before clipping occurred with white noise, as compared to with a sweep.
Can’t really wrap my sizzling brain around it, currently…
Got any more pointers for me to better understand, AJ?
:teacher:
I finally returned to my tried and working (for my setup) method of setting maximum gain with pink noise, since its spectral intensity distribution emulates real music much better.

1 Like

Yes, exactly!

Definitely not, since you’re talking digital vs. analog clipping, I presume, the former being audible rather instantly and uncorrelated, the latter gradually and more correlated.

Using Roon’s 64bit DSP engine, one doesn’t need to be too worried about losing any audible resolution, so it’s better to keep away from readily audible nasty digital clipping.

1 Like

Martin…thanks much for your explanations! I really appreciate it! I’m still marveling how my whole system sounds better…It plays way louder/cleaner than it ever has before…way easier on the pre amp and amp to play clean signals…in fact easier on the speakers and well as easier on my ears…it’s a win all around :upside_down_face:…Can’t believe I’ve been a Roonie for 7 years and did not know about the Clip settings…but I have not using Convolutions for that long…maybe 3 or 4 but long enough I should have known…It’s almost like I got a new system :nerd_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.