Are there any experts in setting/adjusting the Clipping function in the DSP sectionL

I may have cooked the few brain cells, containing my scarce knowledge about the respective matter, during my first whole day out in the sun today, so bear with me…
:sun_with_face: :fried_egg: :brain:
Isn’t real world, band limited digital 0dB, white noise a random signal having equal intensity at different frequencies, giving it a constant power spectral density, and when measured, the maximum level at each frequency will be 0dB?

Beauty would be seeing clipping occurrences quite constantly, compared to using a sweep.

Just seemingly endlessly played respective test signals from Qobuz, as well as ones generated by REW, while using my roon-dynamic-range-metering-bridge and Roon’s clipping indicator.

Got really confused for a while, as I still had crossfade and volume leveling on, interfering strangely sporadically with testing.

But there must be some truth to your comment, because I could set digital gain higher before clipping occurred with white noise, as compared to with a sweep.
Can’t really wrap my sizzling brain around it, currently…
Got any more pointers for me to better understand, AJ?
:teacher:
I finally returned to my tried and working (for my setup) method of setting maximum gain with pink noise, since its spectral intensity distribution emulates real music much better.

1 Like