Artist Equivalence Issues

Richard and Danny are not related to the best of my knowledge.

SJB

Oops, I’d always assumed :blush:

Ah. Just got an Avishai Cohen album, then got some more, and I was confused…

Now I understand.

There are two “Charlie McCoy” artists in history. There is an alive and well Charlie McCoy who worked with Dylan, REM, Gordon Lightfoot, Elvis, Johnny Cash, eyc. But his Roon artist entry is for the old blues artist who died in 1950

Just found another: John Taylor is a contemplative British jazz piano player, having played with Norma Winstone and Kenny Wheeler, making up Azimuth, etc. ECM stuff. The bio says, “One of the weirdest things about Duran Duran is that every one of its members became a hard rocker.”

John Taylor is of course not a rare name, so something deeper must be done to identify the right one.

1 Like

Two Artists in same entry - Lisa Miller

The Australian singer/songwriter Lisa Miller is the vocalist on “I Hope I Never”, track 9 of “She Will Have Her Way; the Songs of Tim and Neil Finn” on Tidal.

My local albums of hers, Car Tape, Version Originale, Car Tape 2 and Meet the Misses along with the above Tidal compilation are attributed by Roon to the USA artist Lisa Miller (Trailer Park Honeys) who has the bio in Roon.

This is the Wikipedia entry of the Australian artist, which has a better discography than her Discogs entry.

Two Artists in same entry - Harem Scarem

The Australian band is mixed up with the Canadian band (which has the bio in Roon). This is the Wikipedia entry and [Discogs entry] (http://www.discogs.com/artist/794228-Harem-Scarem-2) for the Australian band

Two Artists in same entry - Cybotron

The Australian band is mixed up with the USA band (which has the bio in Roon). This is the Wikipedia entry and Discogs entry for the Australian band.

My local copy of the Australian band’s album “Implosion” is attributed to the USA band.

Edit: Fixed ! Now there’s a separate entry and bio, thanks guys.

Two Artists in same entry - The Angels

The Australian Band has the bio and album in Roon, but Top Tracks and Appearances reference the 60’s act.

Two Artists in same entry - Spectrum

Pete Kember (UK Artist) has the bio in Roon, albums for the Australian band are attributed to him.

This is the Wikipedia entry and Discogs entry for the Australian band.

Edit: Now there is a band entry for Spectrum(16) which is the designation for the Australian band on Discogs. But the name of the band is just Spectrum, discogs adds 16 for disambiguation.

Two Artists in same entry - Kush

My local copies of the Australian band albums are attributed to the USA band.

Here are the Allmusic entry for Jeff Duff referring to Kush and the Discogs entry for the Australian band.

Two Artists in same entry - X

My local copy and the Tidal entry for “At Home With You”, the Australian band’s album, are attributed to the LA band (which has the bio in Roon).

Here are the Wikipedia entry and Discogs entry for the Australian band.

Two Artists in same entry - Mark Gillespie

There are two entries in Roon for Mark Gillespie. One for the UK Artist and another for the Australian artist. My local version of the “Only Human” album of the Australian artist is attributed to the UK artist.

Here is the Discogs entry for the Australian artist.

Two Artists in same entry - Chris Wilson

Local albums for the Australian artist are attributed to the USA artist.

Here are the Wikipedia entry and Discogs entry for the Australian artist.

Two Artists in the same entry - Paul Kelly

Thanks guys, this one is vastly improved with an excellent bio by Ed Nimmervoll now matching the pic of the Australian artist in Roon and a beginning of the Sisyphean task of meta-links between Paul and other Australian musicians.

The Tidal sections, however, are blending albums from the Australian artist, the Irish mandolin player and the Miami funk artist.

I’ve got the correct artist picture for Japanese post rockers Mono, but the wrong tags and bio (London trip-hop band Mono.) http://www.last.fm/music/Mono/+wiki

Nancy Wilson of Heart and Nancy Wilson jazz singer. EDIT: Looks like the bio is now correct, the photo is wrong, though.

John Mann. There are apparently three different artists. I know the one from Kentucky now living in Nashville has his albums split between two different artists profiles/other albums.

Ok guys, me and the guys are going to spend an hour or two looking over these and seeing how many fixes we can get done. Hopefully, we can knock out the majority of what’s been reported, and continue doing so on a periodic basis.

A note about these fixes – even once these issues are all cataloged, we still need to go through the database and implement fixes one at a time. The tools we’re using are for internal use only so, unfortunately, for the moment this work has to be done by us.

Once we’ve implemented a fix, it may be another few days before the fix is ingested into the live database that every install of Roon talks to, and it may be a week or more before your local version of Roon grabs all the updated information from our servers.

So the point is, these fixes are coming but will take some time to propagate to your library. If I’ve let you know a fix is coming, give it at least 2 weeks before reporting additional issues, ok?

Thanks all!

2 Likes

Hope it’s not to late. The Danish artist Sebastian https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_(singer) and the French artist SebastiAn http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sebastian-mn0002333618 are mixed together in my library so they apear as the same artist. I can see that its the same problem on Tidal.