Artist page: Split main albums by properties (Studio, Live, Compilation, ...)

I very much doubt that Roon will ever show the numerous combinations of type/other sections as the OP requested on the Artist>Discography (it would make the page too long…).

Does using Focus on the ‘My Albums’ screen help you filter down to what you need?

Focus should certainly behave in the same way on the Artist>Discography page, and I think there are feature requests for this improvement, but I’m not sure Roon has commented on them yet.

Thank you for the response. I suppose Focus can get the job done but it’s not ideal. I’d like to be able to sort things further than “Main Albums”, “Singles & EPs”, Bootlegs” and “Appearances”. How did you customize the Focus categories? I looked forever and can’t find any options.

Do you mean positioning the three Focus categories (Performers, Other, and Album Type) before Tags?

Just click the pin next to the name.

Album Type and Other are not visible in the Focus box. :thinking:

I see these entries under the categories of Other and Album Type, on the My Albums screen:

How many Focus categories in total do you see as you page through Focus (horizontal click and drag scrolling/right arrow)? I see twenty. Sorry, just checking you are aware there are other pages. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, I’m a moron. I was on the Artists page. I see them on the My Albums page. It’s not perfect but I guess it will have to do. It would be great if there was an option to sort “Live” albums in addition to “Bootlegs” and “Singles and EPs”.

2 Likes

You’re not - roon has quite a lot of functionality/lingo to pick up.

And it’s not always logical, as the difference between the Focus for Discography and My Albums highlights.

1 Like

We really need to be able to use Focus on the Artist page… Why isn’t there a Focus function in the Overview for Albums in my Library? If I go to Bob Dylan, I want to be able to focus on Live, Compilations, Bootlegs, etc. And btw, why don’t Bootlegs show up at all under Overview?? They show up in a separate area under the Discography tab though… And also another issue is that Compilations do not always show up. They are usually there when you first go to the page, but then they magically disappear after a few minutes.

If you go to the Discography tab, there is a Focus there, and you can filter to show just your library, however, Discography will show only one instance of an Album, and not all the version you might have. And even sometimes if you go to an album and look at the Versions tab, it still won’t show the other versions you have in your local Library, you have to go back to Overview and look for it there…

In short, the categorization and Focus options on the Artist page are a complete mess. For the most part I really like 1.8, but they really need to fix the Artist page.

2 Likes

Is it me or Roon is still missing a way to create a “Live albums” category on “Discography” page?

Tidal puts “EP and Singles” in one category and “Live albums” in another category on the Artist page so they don’t get mixed up like in Roon.

We shouldn’t have to fiddle with “Focus”?

2 Likes

Agree 1000%. Giving the options to separate main albums in categories like @Jan_Koudijs suggests is an excellent idea - and almost essential in my view. Each user could then decide if the additional screen scrolling/white space is worth the extra classification options. Or a toggle could be added as noted below.

For example:

Studio Albums (Main album, no properties set)
Live Albums (Main album, ‘Live’ property set)
Soundtracks (Soundtrack)
Compilations (Main album, ‘Compilation’ property set)
Bootlegs (Main album, ‘Bootleg’ property set) (already in)
Singles and EPs (Single / ExtendedPlay) (already in)

(To minimize excessive whitespace/scrolling, a setting could be added to toggle certain categories on or off - for example if a user doesn’t want a separate live albums category, then live albums would be included in the default ‘Main Albums’ category, as Roon currently has.)

At a minimum, with the prepondance in recent years of real time live concert releases (eg., Nugs.net), having the option to display live albums separately from studio albums would be really helpful.

Roon developers please incorporate! Thanks.

2 Likes

Sometimes I wonder why there is low vote count (3 as of this writing) on important features like this that I think many people would need.

Then I realize, Roon limits the number of votes people could have, so it’s not that users don’t like these suggestions like this one, but it’s actually because there are so many missing crucial features that votes are spread thin among users!

This is artificially (and sadly) undermining the importance of certain feature requests (and this is probably one of the victims), sigh…

I don’t know why after this request was made 6 years ago, there is still no progress?

Has there been any workaround?

It is really messy to have all kinds of different albums all lumped into “Main Albums” and “Single & EPs” only especially for artists who are prolific.

Well, first of all, “scrolling” is not an issue for users like me with tall screens. I’d much rather have an overview of different album types than all albums all mixed into one or two big groups.

For argument sake, let’s assume “scrolling” is indeed an issue, there are still multiple ways to solve this, depending on coding complexity.

1. Add tabs across the first row to have Main, Single, EP, Live, Compilation etc.

2. Don’t like tabs? How about giving the database the capability to toggle multiple styles of display for each artist? The options available can be:

a) All albums (not split into any categories)

b) Main + Others (Single, EP, Live etc)

c) Main + Singles + EP

d) Any combination of the above

@RBM @mike I think with the implementation of method 2, the issue of different users wanting their albums to be displayed in different ways based on their personal preference will no longer be a concern. Now Roon users can easily select the most fulfilling and convenient listing style based on the discography pattern of each artist. For those who don’t want to bother or don’t need the granular options for each artist, then provide an option to set “universal listing style.”

I hope the above makes sense and helps, especially if Roon’s road block has been ruminating over which is the “best” way to fulfill all the competing needs. I don’t believe there is a way to come up with one unicorn magical design that encompasses all needs.

I think once you abandoned this idea of a “perfect” design and give users the options to choose their own level of album listing/categorizing granularity (by implementing method 2) above, this once long-standing issue will finally be closed.

Besides, if we do a poll, there will be people who like Amazon, Spotify, or even Tidal’s categorization better. But none of them allows users to sort and group the way the users want. If Roon can implement this user-centric capability, I think it will be a killer feature that platforms don’t have.

Having said that, I have no idea how this feature of “giving users the capability to choose unique listing/splitting style for each artist” would impact the size and speed of the database, so maybe there is a technical reason you haven’t done so.

Thanks for taking your time to consider my suggestions.

Don’t like the tabs idea. Customising the categorisation by artist would be good though. But before that we need to have the feature in general. And don’t forget about albums, singles & EPs, live albums, bootlegs, anthologies and compilations!

I am merely suggesting, even though I prefer the per-artist customization option, given the fact the “Tabs” is already an existing feature on Roon, then perhaps adding additional tabs is easier for Roon to implement, which is still better than nothing. At the very least, it will not aggravate those “who don’t want to scroll”.

If you do like the per-artist customization feature that I mentioned, please consider voicing your support

I know for a fact Roon Team reads these threads so if there is more support for how something should be handled they may become additional data points for the dev team.

Ah, I don’t have tabs like that - I think it only appears if you use streaming services with Roon. I agree with adding in the option to separate albums by studio/live/singles & EPs/anthologies/bootlegs/compilations.

1 Like

I would love this,
I feel its a bit of a mess when you have +30 albums of a single artists, this would tidy things up and makes it easier to find the album you are loooking for.

Plex has this option, and feel their app is much more usable on small devices, but offcoarse is missing some of the primary roon functions.