Artist page: Split main albums by properties (Studio, Live, Compilation, ...)

[Writing this request was triggered by this post from @Alden_Olson. Older posts related to this topic felt too old to extent upon, so I decided to start a new one.]

When you have more than a few albums of an artist, the artist page becomes a bit cluttered. All Studio, Live and Compilation albums are shown as Main albums. My request is to create separate categories based on the album type and the additional properties that an album can have. Possible categories are:

Studio Albums (Main album, no properties set)
Live Albums (Main album, ‘Live’ property set)
Soundtracks (Soundtrack)
Compilations (Main album, ‘Compilation’ property set)
Bootlegs (Main album, ‘Bootleg’ property set)
Singles and EPs (Single / ExtendedPlay) (already in)

In case an album has multiple properties set, like Live and Compilation, then the album will be included in the first category it applies to (i.e. Live Albums). The mock-up below has an example of this, the live compilation ‘Unplugged 1991/2001’ is listed as a live album.

In my opinion, separating the main albums like this gives a cleaner view.

9 Likes

That is an excellent idea and has been discussed elsewhere also; I believe that I was one of the first to raise it and have mentioned it on a number of threads - not least on my “Roon 1.3: Top Priorities” thread, where it is my third request:

I have also mentioned it here:

And here:

My list of categories is similar to yours, except I had not separated out live albums from studio albums, and I had an extra category for “DJ mix”.

Nice mockup by the way!

2 Likes

This is just what I’m looking for!

1 Like

Hi @extracampine,

Thanks for providing the links, they did not show up in my search.

Bit of a pity that this feature is not confirmed for version 1.3, and maybe not even on the to do list as @mike still suggests to write a feature request for it in the post I linked above.

I would really like to see the separation between studio and live albums, do you see the added value of this?

I was just thinking, maybe it would also be nice to have a ‘Play All’ button for each of the album categories. A ‘one button’ click to play for example all studio albums (updated the mock-up accordingly).

Hi Jan,

I’m not sure if it will be in 1.3, but I would be very surprised if it was not quite high on the priorities list as it has been requested by various users for some time and is IMHO an essential way to organise the artist home page, which can otherwise become a jumbled mess in the presence of multiple bootlegs etc.

In terms of the separation between studio and live albums, I can indeed see the value - especially for artists where there is a large number of both. Some users may have a lot of artists like this and others perhaps not so many. Which highlights another aspect of this categorisation system - that perhaps the separation into these categories should be an option for the user, ideally being able to turn on or off each individual category to their liking.

The play all feature is not a bad idea, though I think in your mock up it makes the screen look too cluttered and detracts from the nice tidy organisation scheme.

Maybe one of the devs - @danny @mike @vova @Eric - can confirm their current position on this feature?

1 Like

This is all good fun and looking good, but what if an artist has only 10 or 8 or 6 or 4 albums, spilt over 4 categories? And how does the same for Tidal work out for you?

There’ll be a whole lot of empty space and vertical scolling, I’m afraid. Not good – especially for smallish screens / tablets.

RBM - not sure if you fully read my post - that is specifically why I stipulated that some of the “extra” categorisations would be optional that the user could turn on and off!

Besides, if a user likes an artist that much that he/she has bootlegs, then there probably are a large number of entries on that artists’ page!

I totally agree that it doesn’t make sense to split e.g. 4 albums into 3 categories. But this system can be dynamic, with an approach like this:

• Any compilation albums? Place them in the Compilations category (I like them to be always separated)
  • More than 6 (or any arbitrary number) albums left? Further split them up
  • Otherwise, list them as Main albums

Yes, a “smart” approach like this would also be good - though in my opinion having these things as user-selectable options would be superior as it allows for more specific customisation.

What if it was coupled to the ‘Show extra icons on browser’ setting?
I have this setting enabled and like to have my albums separated accordingly. If a user has it disabled then he is probably not interested in this split up.

Your remark about vertical scrolling made me realize that I never use the category at the top of the artist page: Top Tracks (I’m an album listener). So I collapsed the list and noticed that this setting is kept after a restart of the remote. Nice scroll saver :slight_smile:

If there was a setting to hide Top Tracks completely I had enabled it.

I am fully behind this organizational hierarchy and think it would be a great addition to the software. I have seen @extracampine request this feature many times previously as well so props to you all for staying on this and continuing mention of it!

One additional request related to organization: Allow live music to be grouped in ‘sets’ (in the case of bands) and/or halves (as in a classical music concert, pre/post intermission).

The recent release of Roon 1.3 brings many good things but it does not appear to have addressed this essential feature. This is now among my top feature requests for the next version.

Currently you can select the “Album Type” as being either Main, Single, ExtendedPlay, Soundtrack or Other. Add in Bootleg and Anthology in there and allow the user to split the entries on the artist page using these criteria, and we’re laughing! :slight_smile:

Just a plus-one on this general request.

I’d love to have a bit more possibility to allow Roon to split the album listing by type/live etc.

+1
I would love to see that feature

Would be cool.

Not sure how I stubeled upon this thread, but this is a great idea! +1

That is an excellent idea. Any chance to know if that is at all being considered?

Another request for this feature - it’d significantly improve the UX using Roon when browsing artists with more than a handful of albums.

Has this been implemented/introduced yet? I’m on my 3rd day of my Roon trial and this would seal the deal! I can sort Bootlegs, Singles & EPs but that’s it. Even if I use “Other”, the live stuff albums are displayed as “Singles & EPs”.