I link the following post, which has been abandoned:
Continuing the discussion from "a.k.a." - how is it supposed to work?:
The AKA line we see in some artists seems to be a very ad-hoc feature, which users cannot edit and control in any way.
but managing AKAs I think is a necessity. I think that:
- Different artists aliases should have an identical artist page, so different artists link point at the end to the same artist page
- In this page, beneath the actual artist name, there should be a.k.a. followed by the various aliases (as links?)
- In practice, different aliases are treated exactly as different artists, the only difference is that they share exactly the same artist page (same bio, same picture, same data), but added specification to akas.
- The main albums list should show all the main albums, whatever is the name they have been issued with.
- It would be great if, besides the normal “artists merging”, there could be an “artists aliasing”: i select two artists/performers, and declare that they are aliases. so what’s the difference with merging? actually, there’s no difference except that we keep the various names, and they are shown correspondingly in the albums.
i think that this approach is quite sensible, also for classical music: i’m thinking at orchestras with different names (varying in time).