Audiophile SATA cables

sounds like you finished the beer and popcorn…

Nope, i am just going to watch and listen to some music. :nerd_face:

kinda funny, I’m listening to the soundtrack of Chernobyl right now, glad its not causing any noise in my system…

Your tweeters can glow just by listening to that, be careful!!!
I can assure you that it can do that, really it can… :crazy_face:

:rofl: dude, you’re scaring me, I think they actually do glow… :rofl:

There is no ground for his/here statements, only believe.

Most engineers don’t waste time trying to explain engineering to audiophiles. Occasionally a few of us will, but it’s often not worthwhile. Believe what you will.

Surely, in this instance, it would be worthwhile. You’re making a claim that exotic SATA cables can make a difference, plenty of people seem to be doubting it, so please take the time to explain how they can possibly have any effect on SQ.

haha , here you are very very wrong…
i am an engineer; an electronics and network and software engineer (became one later in life)…
… and i am last but not least, definitively not an audiophile, i love music to much to be an audiophile.

and again, we are discussing problems in the digital domain, SATA cables and the influence on music in the analogue domain, not your trolling BS.

OOPS , this will be a ban … well so be it, it is worth it… sorry :partying_face: :sunglasses:

6 Likes

There is no such thing as an “audiophile” Serial ATA cable. It is a digital not audio interface. In the world of “bits are bits,” you don’t get much more basic than this. It transmits bits from one side of the interface to the other at the rated speed of the interface. Error correction protocols ensure that the bits that go into one side come out the other. The details of the interface standard are interesting if you’re into that sort of thing. Otherwise, it’s safely ignored.

Spend the money on music.

Phil
(IEEE Member)

3 Likes

I usually try to not get sucked into these type of controversies and also know this is OT, but I just can’t let that statement stand without commenting!

13 years ago, Floyd E. Toole published the first edition of his book “Sound Reproduction - Loudspeakers And Rooms”, summing up ~25 years of scientific research in the fields of acoustics and psychoacoustics with respect to loudspeaker design.

One major conclusion drawn from this work is, that there is a clear correlation between a given set of measurements and listener preference - so there are no unexpected and confounding results.

Sorry to burst your argumentative bubble, but please refrain from unproven sweeping comments until you read up on the subject matter.

6 Likes

Storage engineer here, 10 years at Seagate and 12 years at Western Digital working in customer applications engineering. I know the sata spec and ata protocols very well. I support customer design teams implementing sata devices in consumer electronics, industrial, and IT. Signal integrity is extremely important and is ‘designed in’ at the HW stage. SATA CABLES DO NOT AFFECT SOUND QUALITY IN YOUR HIFI EQUIPMENT. Hope this helps.

13 Likes

I’ve been trying not to participate in threads like this of late. My logic-driven, no-nonsense approach seems to rub the same handful of individuals up the wrong way.

The arguments always run the same course too. The believers claim impossible audible differences, the scientists and engineers call BS and there’s a stand-off, usually with some thinly veiled personal insults, and flagged and moderated posts along the way.

All that being said though, I find the very notion of “audiophile” SATA cables, quite frankly, absurd.

This is just another example of the snake-oil peddlers finding increasingly elaborate ways to make more money.

@Craig_Lamb - thank you for your professional insight. Still, I fear someone will be along shortly to argue the case for these cables, regardless of the scientific and engineering evidence placed before them.

7 Likes

And if you take a bathroom break during a listening session you might want to flush with ‘audiophile’ water.

Ah, and I have a bridge to sell. Just in case. We are here to help. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I myself do not have audiophile ears.
So I cannot differentiate the sounds from different cables whether they are analog, digital or power.

Fortunately I don’t need to spend money buying those silly cables, lol.

Michael,
Let your ears be the judge! Most reputable dealers should let you try them out.
It also helps to have one or more people that love music listen to the test .
In the system and out
Jay Wolf

There’s no auditory judging required. Read @Craig_Lamb 's post above. 22 years of storage engineering behind him and he categorically states that SATA cables do not affect sound quality.

The very notion that SATA cables could affect sound is audiophoolery at the highest level.

What next? Audiophile RAM? Audiophile hard drives? Audiophile motherboards? I even read someone on Audiophile Style state that he’d ordered audiophile PCB traces :roll_eyes:

1 Like

No clue whether SATA cables make a sound difference or not (and I’m not about to try), but I find it disingenuous that just because one is/was in IT makes that a definitive answer. I’m wondering if in the 22 years @Craig_Lamb was in the storage industry did they ever run actual listening tests (blinded - of course) to determine there is no audio difference, or if he’s just going by theory and/or company practice says? In the past nobody listened to hard drives, let alone streamed music from a computer. But that doesn’t mean this strange new world of audio we’ve entered into doesn’t have surprises that weren’t looked for (or even thought of looking for) in the past. Best to keep an open mind imo.

1 Like

With reference to power cables, if an electrical engineer states that it is impossible from a scientific standpoint for a power cable to have an audible effect on a system; I am afraid that is not scientific evidence at all, its merely an educated opinion. I am still waiting for the evidence, all I am seeing is so called opinions being touted as gospel. Please someone, provide me with the scientific evidence to the contrary. If the electrical input and output measures the same , e.g 220v, that does not constitute scientific evidence. Please educate me with the so called evidence, that proves its impossible to have an audible effect. Those that shout expectation bias, its getting tiring, it’s also just an opinion. I agree with Greame, these threads are pointless. Just saying, it’s one thing to shout from a scientific platform, but another to provide actual evidence. At least millions of audiophiles have actually reported hearing differences.

1 Like

Music isn’t even assembled until it has passed through a DAC. Before that, it is just data.

7 Likes

Any IT professional (myself included) will tell you the same thing: if cables were to alter data in any way, computing as we know it today would not exist. If that explanation doesn’t work for audio, then you have to admit there’s something “extra” associated with audio data that doesn’t survive transport, i.e. you would need to believe in some kind of magic.

I’ve been streaming audio since the early 2000’s, so it’s been around for 20+ years. Streaming services use computers, which ultimately read data from hard drives (or SSDs more recently). This is no “strange new world” by any stretch.

This is how this sort of marketing works: sow enough doubt so people will buy your stuff, just in case. Forget the experts, “nobody really knows”.

7 Likes