Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M - Help Needed

G’day,

I have an Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M KALI on its way to me. That’s a Raspberry Pi 3B with Audiophonics I-Sabre ES9028Q2M DAC, Allo Kali Reclocker I2S FIFO, 7" OLED Touch Screen, Volume control, Steel case, and 16 GB memory card.

I hope to run RoPieee OS on it to create a RoonBridge. Is this going to work?

Are there any special things I’ll need to do to get it working?

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

I’ve just taken delivery of two Audiophonics RaspTouch I-Sabre ES9028Q2M units. See
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/rasptouch/rasptouch-i-sabre-es9028-streamer-touch-with-volume-control-p-12181.html

The KALI version is not currently available and I believe there are limitations when the KALI board is in place, so I decided to go without it.

Tonight I’ll be trying to setup RoPieee OS on these units.

Has anyone else done this? Are there any special steps I need to be aware of to get it working?

It will be interesting to compare the SQ against the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro unit I already have.

It’s taken quite a while and I’m still not done installing and getting Ropieee running on the first unit.

The unit is running, seemingly with Ropieee installed and working. I can browse to the Ropieee web interface on the unit.

The unit keeps saying there is a problem with the connection, and asking:

Is Roon Core running?
Well my ROCK is running, and I have Roon running on this laptop plus a desktop PC and an iPad.
When I go to Settings -> Audio in Roon, the unit isn’t displayed there, just my HiFiBerry Dac+ Pro.
A refresh doesn’t find the Audiophinics01 unit.

Is the Ropieee Remote Control extension enabled in Roon?
Well it wasn’t at first. When I enabled it and rebooted the Audiophonics unit, it went past this screen and the unit eventually made it to a playing screen showing unknown.

So something isn’t quite right somewhere.
Can someone please suggest what I try from here?

Best regards, Lloyd Borrett.

I am awaiting the delivery of my AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC I-Sabre ES9028Q2M next week (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/raspdac/audiophonics-raspdac-i-sabre-es9028q2m-streamer-raspberry-pi-3-dac-p-12315.html). As soon as I have my unit installed and setup I can share my experience.
@Lloyd_Borrett: Good to know that somebody is working with a similar type of equipement:

I’ve just through setting up the 2nd unit with the same outcome.

Roon doesn’t find either of the units. That’s not good!

Here is the web interface for one of the units.

The RoPiee Remote Control extension is enabled in Roon…

Roon doesn’t show either device, just the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro…

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Can you send me feedback? This is done from the ‘advanced’ web page.

Thanks,

Done. ID: 0637cd13c0bd1d1e

Yeah… those crappy drivers again :frowning:

Ok, can you switch the configuration in the web interface to the ‘Raspberry Pi DAC (I2S)’ and try again?

Progress. Both are now found by Roon. Music playing from one of them now (yet to try the other). Thanks for the suggestion.

Still get Unknown as the track display on the Pi touch screen, or it times out and shows the clock. Is that a flow on effect from the same problematic drivers, or something else?

Is there a way to change the clock to 12 hour format? Would be a nice display configuration option.

Suggestion: Create a distinctive favicon for RoPieee so that it shows in web browsers. Use it on the ropieee web site and for the RoPieee web interface. Suggestion: maybe take the Roon one and either put a Raspberry Pi raspberry symbol, or the pi symbol in the half circle.

The display stuff is not related to the drivers. Have you configured the right zone in the web interface?

It’s already possible to set the clock to 12 hours. Just have a look at the settings page on the display.

Duhhh! That was it. Many thanks.

Finally found how to get to the settings page on the display. Is there a tutorial somewhere to explain the display?

I assume that when the unit is able to work with drivers specifically for the DAC chip that more features will become available.

Have a look here: http://www.ropieee.org/display/

I’m starting to get embarrassed that these things were there and I’ve missed them.

Haven’t seen anything about what these three icons are for.

Left icon is radio, icon in the middle is random, right icon is repeat.

Thanks Harry.

My units have a Power icon in the top right of the display. Maybe adding a settings icon there would be a more intuitive interface. Guests would never find the settings by touching the bottom right of the screen. Even I didn’t!

Two things.

First: Have you thought about adding a help screen for the display? I can see guests finding that very useful. If it were to be done using HTML and CSS, I could help you with it.

Second: One would think having the touch screen could open up all sorts of new possibilities. Some examples: selecting another album; showing an album review; showing an artist review; showing the lyrics.Any plans for this sort of functionality?

Loving the extra functionality the RaspTouch unit brings compared to my HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro.

I didn’t think having a volume control on the RaspTouch would be useful, but it actually is. The more I can control from the unit itself the better. Will be a lot easier for guests as well.

I think it’s very fine as it is. I don’t want my guests finding the settings. :slightly_smiling_face:. The other features would be nice but I believe they’re not exposed through the Roon API.

A RoPieee tutorial is here:

What could be improved?

Nathan

Well adding in a screen shot and an explanation of the icons would have helped me. That is, left icon is radio, icon in the middle is random, right icon is repeat.

Though given I missed the bit about touching the bottom right of the screen to get into Settings, maybe it wouldn’t have helped me anyway. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Lloyd_Borrett for the suggestion. I added a line about the icon meanings to the guide.