Audioquest Niagara 3000, 5000 etc

Was not familiar with Torus. Appreciate the input.

2 Likes

If you are referring to me, I am not alone -

1 Like

I heard that unit at my local dealer and was very impressive but went with the AQ niagara 1200 (within my budget) and also made a big different in my system. Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Torus!

2 Likes

Ernesto, there are lots of good choices here for all of us. Hope you’re enjoying your system as much as I am mine. Stay healthy!

1 Like

You bring up an excellent point when it comes to selecting a component. Do you feel good about what the manufacturer does? Can you (I cannot easily) chose a product that comes from a source your question? There are few companies to which I have a negative visceral response. I am still waiting for a quote on 3000, 5000, etc while concurrently considering others.

Audioquest is such a strange company. I like some of their products like their headphones are really pretty good but absolutely hate some of their other products which are ridiculous like over $2,000 ethernet cables, etc.

1 Like

yeah like others, the Jitterbug has been a waste. But quite happy with some of the other gear I have from them.

This is like hating Rolex for some highly expensive limited editions. Audioquest is one of the few companies heavily investing in R&D and also delivers great value for various product lines. Niagara 1200 and 3000 are absolutely outstanding in their class. I compared many brands - and the new product lines developed by Garth Powell received an overwhelming feedback.

2 Likes

Except that Rolex doesn’t claim to enhance the nature of time. So, not a good analogy.

1 Like

(A beautiful mind).

Well AQ isn’t doing any claims like that. But if you would love another analogy - why not Mercedes offering the very special Maybach.
AQ has its Dragon etc but provides much of the technologies used to far cheaper series.

1 Like

:laughing:

Huh?!

Elected to get the Niagara 5000, actually my wife did, and it arrived early Father’s Day. Will be a week or more before time to put it into the system.

2 Likes

Amazing! Did you get a demo or ordered one? Eager to hear your impressions about before / after.

My wife found it (new in box) and ordered it for July delivery. But it arrived 2-3 weeks early this morning. Ordering cables tomorrow from Patrick Cullen. We already have enough equipment to fully populate the available outlets. Very robust unit.

2 Likes

Is that a new rug I see covering that hard tile floor?

New to the room but belonged to two of my girls. It was purchased too large for their off campus apartment so we put it in my main consultation room at the office. It was suboptimal there and then we brought it home. If you want it, send a self-addressed stamped envelope, and I’ll get it out in the morning.

The question becomes “does it dampen some of the liveliness of the room?” It may…a bit. I am using the equalizer on the amp to smooth things so there are multiple co-existing factors as we like to say.

But great call on noticing the rug.

1 Like

i have an audioquest niagara 1200 after I heard the 5000 at an audioshow. A nice piece of equipment. AQ compared the 5000 with one from the local Diy shop. I heard a clearly difference and bought a 1200 myself. For me a lot of money, but luckily a special show sale, every Niagara buyer got an AQ power cable for free.

2 Likes

The dealer sold me a sealed box; no power cable. Considered taking one out of a toaster or a blender, but I elected to order three more as noted above. That comes to a total of six cables. One to the wall, and then five for DAC, Streamer, Amplifier, both CD players. Looking forward to hooking it up, not certain I shall hear a difference, but like my youngest daughter would say “it’s shiny.” My speakers are powered but no thinking of buying 8’ cables for them…but uncertain.

1 Like

Power conditioners are a highly misunderstood subject. There exist no ‘one solution for all’ power conditoner just like there doesn’t exist a one solution for all loudspeaker crossover. Just like a loudspeaker crossover a mains filter is dependant on the load it sees. The most common mistake most people make is to buy a conditioner that has the highest current rating thinking it would have the least internal resistance and therefore the best dynamics. This has a negative impact on the filtering though, because the filter sees a too high impedance it does not nearly filter as well as a filter that was designed for the lighter load. Besides, because filters are always a resonant system there is a big chance of flutter. Things can get even worse if the equipment that is fed allready has some form of emi/rfi filtering built in, this way you are cascading resonant filters which leads to even more flutter. I have been testing a whole lot with commercial filters over the years, including very expensive ones but have come to the conclusion that some simple self made filters that I have designed for the load they see are much more effective at 1/10 to 1/100 of the cost. Without knowing anything about the filter charactristics and about the load it will allways be a hit or miss nomatter what they promise you in the shiny brochure. There simply is no way anyone (including the manufacturer) could tell you if a filter would work in your case or not, it is useless to buy anything based on reviews from others. A mains filter is not some kind of magic black box that cleans all of your power, it works in conjunction with the load and you have to look at it as a whole.

6 Likes