Auralic Altair, Roon and Synology NAS?

I’m not sure that applies to my situation. My entire setup is wired today and I have constant dropouts when running Roon Core on my Synology. Now I will try to run Roon Core on my Surface pro, but it will still be connected to my LAN via ethernet.

Patrick,

I did not look up the thread, but if you have over 200k in tracks then, imho, you really should be setting up an i7, 16 GB of Ram and a fast SSD as the OS/Roon drive.

Howver, Try the i5 in the surface pro first, although, I think as I don’t have time to check, that that is a mobile i5 and not a desktop cpu (there is a performance difference). If it works for you great, but if you are still getting a slower than desired response then you will need to pump it up to an i7.

Thanks. This is a no-cost experiment, as I just have the surface lying around and was getting ready to sell it. It’s still importing my library and I should be able to field-test this weekend :slight_smile:
If it fails, I know what my clear options are (drop Roon or buy a SonicTransporter)

Initial roadtesting reveals an improvement via Wifi. I can now play 24/192 and DSD64 without dropouts. DSD256 still crashes. More to come

Success ! I connected the Surface Pro to my LAN using a USB-2-Ethernet dongle (instead fo wifi). I am listening to a DSD256 album without dropouts !

Could be a way to recycle an old surface pro you have lying around (or which can be bought used for 250 bucks). Cheaper than buying or building a headless PC or a more powerful NAS…

Congrats. And Wired is the way to go.

I am considering either the ELAC Discovery or the Auralic Altair. I had a chance of using the Discovery for a couple of weeks, and came away very impressed with the sound quality via the RCA analog output. The Altair does have the added advantage of having a Pre-amp DAC, but i am more concerned about the sound quality.
In your opinion how is the sound quality of the Altair?

I am interested on this too. Any Altair owners here?

The Altair is a solid piece of HiFi. It does not sound, it does its job decent, would it SOUND i would kick it out of my chain.

So is it a very good preamp, DAC and streamer? YES IT IS!!!

My room sounds together with my speakers, but my devices do not :slight_smile:

best regards,

Armin