Auralic Aries Mini as "Endpoint": one experience

I’m nursing two Pi’s and two Cuboxes… Even the i1 is more than up to the job.

1 Like

Apologies for having been otherwise absent for a while, but IMO Andybob’s nailed the question. And IMO the smart money is on the SOSE (I bought one as soon as they came out) or a MicroRendu - possibly with a non-stock PS. This link may provide a bit of insight.

How does that work as an Airplay endpoint? Within Roon you can tell Roon to send to the Mini as airplay? Can you also still use Roon for multiple speakers around the house at the same time? I would be OK with Airplay limitations as I do tons of it all the time and i wouldn’t mind saving the money on Tidal either.

Not anymore. They sold me an Aires Mini as a Roon player (before the 1.1 release and after announcing support for Roon Ready) then did not include RAAT for “marketing reasons” so I dont want to have anything more to do with them.

2 Likes

Same here as well. Running a Raspberry Pi at the moment. Looking at the SoTM or Sonore as a replacement. Not touching any Aries producs with a ten foot pole afer all the will they won’t they shennanigans.

Replaced my Auralic mini with a Cubox/iFi DSD nano -Combo for good.
No contest. Now I have two sets.
microRendu/LPS/Weiss DAC in my big rig.

RoonReady support is coming to the Aries Mini too with firmware version 5 (currently in beta) :wink:

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for posting that @pl_svn Paolo!

Too bad for me though. I had assumed this was not happening anytime soon, so I’ve given my Mini to a friend.

And now it looks like this is a time that I predicted in an earlier post…

This is likely bad new for Sonore, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

how would the auralic aries mini compare in sound qualtiy to the microrendue or sotm sms 200 or is not in the same league?
the reason im asking im commiting to roon in the next couple of months and looking at endpoint options,i have a pioneer lx87 av reciever with usb dac and was thinking of bringing a renderer into the system intially the sotm sms 200 or the microredue would it be worth considering the aries mini?

regards
gary

Indeed it’s a nice addition to have for Roon especially for those who don’t wish to go down the Raspberry Pi route.

Once Roon is fully up and working on the aeries mini, it certainly is at a sweet spot price wise.

.sjb

Damn! Just sold my Mini as it wasn’t Roon Ready!!!

Too little too late in my opinion.
There are so many more options out there now that weren’t available when the Mini was first launched.

1 Like

Poor show by Auralic. Feel sorry for those who bought into the Mini earlier and sold on believing that Roon was not supported. I’ll stick with my Pi.

1 Like

Aries mini is now Roon ready, courtesy of beta firmware upgrade 5.1/5.2 available via Auralic.

Thanks for sharing this info. My Aires Mini has now been operating in Roon Ready mode for a few weeks now. Seems to work flawlessly.

The Aries Mini will also do MQA and Roon plus Airplay which makes it pretty desirable for my use case with my Kef LS50 wireless speakers.

It does now. A month ago it did neither.

Wow, I had no idea, I have had an Aries Mini since the beginning, never thought it would support Roon, I do see it is still listed as a non certified device.

I guess it’s because fw 5.0, which will make the Aries Mini Roon Ready, is still in beta :wink: