Automated Backup of Internal Drive on Nucleus

Nucleus with internal SSD containing library. Can a backup/duplicate of this be automated onto an external USB or NAS drive? Is there a NAS drive backup solution that can monitor the library drive and keep it backed up? Must be automated. Forget about it until the terrifying day that you need it!!!

Thanks in advance

Roon does not have a way of backing up music files. Yes, there are automated backup syncing software, however, I am not familiar with them to give you a suggestion. Plus, the make/model of your NAS might help with software suggestions.

I do want to say, you can and should backup your Roon database. However, it should not be backed up to internal storage. You should have an external USB drive, or, location on the NAS to backup the database to.

Thanks Daniel. Database will be no problem backed up to NAS folder, and/or Dropbox. Trying to provide a backup solution for using Roon Nucleus as database and ripping/library storage solution. So looking for anybody with experience of taking something like a QNAP or a Synology, and being able to point the NAS at the shared Nucleus library drive and have it maintain a copy of that without having to have a Qnap or Synology widget running on the Nucleus itself. Otherwise at this point is it going to be easier to just have the library on the NAS too, RAID striped drives and secondary backup to USB drive etc etc. I just liked the idea of an internal SSD, plus I think NAS library storage stops me from ripping with USB CD attached to Nucleus. Is that a correct assumption?

My path before now is something like Bluestream Vault or Ripcaster. Ripping and storage outside of Roon and Roon looking in.

Hi Liam,

I am not sure what you mean by this. To rip from CD on a Nucleus you have to have local storage on the Nucleus, either an internal drive or an external USB drive. To get the files out of Roon WITH meta-data you have to use the Roon export function.

Here is the ripped files on a ROCK.

The actual ripped files are not named nor have inserted meta-data, all that is kept in the Roon database. So, if you are going to use those files elsewhere, then you have to export them, as I mentioned above.

I personally find it much easier to rip on a computer, verify all the meta-data is correct and then copy it where Roon can see it.

As for backup, you need to investigate the backup options on the NAS you have or are going to get. You could use a PC, in the Windows world, I can setup the internal drive from on the ROCK’s as a “local” drive on the PC; and then use software on the PC to backup it up. Personally, I keep everything on the NAS and the copy it TO the Nucleus. So the Nucleus has a copy of everything, but, is not the primary data holder.

Personally, I don’t know a lot about this because I have no music files of my own. That said, if I was ripping CD’s, I would use a 3rd party program and rip them to a folder on my computer. This would be a folder where I keep an original copy of all my music files. From there, I would copy these files to my Nucleus internal SSD or a USB drive. Then, I would use some sort of backup program to make backups from my computer to an attached USB drive. In other words, I would keep my original music files and a backup totally outside the Roon environment.

Hi Daniel

Thanks for keeping on this thread and confirming my understanding that Roon nucleus must rip to a local drive.

I am not wishing to use the ripped CDs for any other service. I am aware of the limitations of Roon not applying any metadata to the files it rips. I have no interest in exporting music out of the Roon library, I only want it to exist inside Roon. Maybe there is a side discussion that this is unwisely limiting my options eg in being able to put music from the library onto a portable device. My proposal to Roon for this is that they should produce a mobile player app that streams the library from the user’s home server to their mobile device similar to Plex. Another discussion.

I purely want to backup the library files that will be on the Nucleus. The raw data. So that in the event of storage drive failure on the Nucleus I could transfer back in the backed up data from a NAS and recover the system. I understand this is not a Roon question, but I hoped maybe someone else here has done it this way. The NAS drives backup programs I have used all want a widget installed on the device containing the data, I want to point the NAS at the Nucleus and say observe this folder and replicate it onto the NAS for backup. The alternative easier approach to this would be if the Nucleus would be able to to have it’s own means to have a main library store, and manage a second mirror on say a USB disk. But I am aware this does not exist.

I am thinking of this from a user experience point of view. I want my users to be inside Roon all the time. Rip inside Roon, manage inside Roon, playback inside Roon. But have an automatic backup in the background keeping a mirror of the library for the worst case. My clients do not have the time or wherewithal to want to learn how to do this themselves. I want to give them a single app (Roon) and say here’s your music device. Push CDs into this thing and in your app you can see them being ripped. Think Kaleidescape not KODI.

I managed to have this automated by building a simple NAS with a Raspberry Pi4 + usb Hdd attached.
I installed Open Media Vault and used rsync to automatically backup music files every week from Roon core, in my case a Nuc, but using a Nucleus should be the same.

If you already own a Nas probably there’s an rsync option you just need to activate.

Unbelievably this week is the first I have seen this reply I must have clicked through and never read it back in Feb. I am just playing about with this OMV job now, I guess it’s the Rsync option to remote pull from the Roon. I don’t suppose you can share how you addressed the source server and what password you are using if it is just the Roon account one or something else? Great suggestion anyway, I can think of a few applications I would like to use this for with my clients. Thank you