Automatically select highest resolution Qobuz/Tidal/local

thank you!

I would also love the option to always choose the high res version from Tidal. Too many old crappy mp3s in my library. The alternative for me is sadly to not use my local library at all. Going to the versions tab and finding the Tidal version for every single tune/album is way too much of a hassle.

2 Likes

Yes, as a hi-res aficionado, this is a feature request that I am surprised doesn’t already exist. In fact, since it seems that Roon is about high quality audio, it would be self evident that listeners would want to listen to the higher bit / sampling rate files; be it on the local server in my library, or through Tidal or similar streaming service.

I will further expand on this by saying that when a multi-channel version exists, that should also be selected above the stereo edition.

Of course, I recognize that the MC files could be tagged as such and played separately (uniquely) from the stereo files. However, in my humble opinion, it would be great if these options were included in the global settings on an account by account basis.

To the best of my knowledge, Roon will automatically (try to) set the album version with the highest resolution as the primary album.
This can of course be overruled manually by the user.

Of course, this is only true if the albums are making part of ‘My Library’
Roon will not search Tidal/Qobuz if there is an alternative ailbum with higher resolution in Tidal/Qobuz.

If you want to check, and eventually correct if needed, in Album browser you can use Focus - Inspector - Duplicates.

Dirk

Thanks, so far that has not been my experience. And if I have to set each one manually, that would be an arduous task.

No, I don’t want to listen to files, because they have higher numbers. I want to listen to the best master and even that is not the same for everybody.

3 Likes

That’s not your experience — in what circumstance?
Roon does not run around changing primary among albums you already have, if they were already added and the wrong one set as primary they stay that way because you might have had a reason for that choice.
If you add a new version to your library, it does pick the new one as primary if it is higher resolution than the existing version.
It does not automatically add versions to your library, higher resolution or not.
Isn’t that a reasonable behavior?
If you have a request for other behavior, describe it and file the request.

Local version is 192k but Roon Radio chose to play Qobuz 96k. I keep hoping for switches that allow each of us to choose how we want this to behave.

2 Likes

Signed up for Roon today and can’t believe there’s no option to automatically select the version with the highest bit rate (whether that’s in my own iTunes or from Qobuz). This is ridiculous.

Great first post…

3 Likes

Seriously though, out of all of the pages and pages of somewhat esoteric Roon settings, there’s not one to automatically play the highest bitrate version available? That just seems crazy for a service that caters to people who appreciate Hi-Fi. For many of us, a primary reason to subscribe to Qobuz or Tidal is to have access to better versions of what we already have in our own personal digitized music libraries. I realize that this doesn’t apply to everyone, but the option should at least be there. It wouldn’t be very difficult to add, considering that Roon has already added tons of other features that are orders of magnitude more complex to implement than “if albumXYZ-1 bitrate > albumXYZ-2 bitrate, then play albumXYZ-1; else play album XYZ-2”.

You can manually make any album in your library the preferred version.

Most people that appreciate Hi-Fi understand that bit rate does not trump mastering quality. For example, I subscribe to Qobuz and I have many CDs in my Library. I don’t want the Qobuz version to be played over any CD in my Library UNLESS I decide that is what I want to happen. Why? Because 95 times out of 100 I prefer the CD mastering I have to the high res version on Qobuz…

2 Likes

Right, I hear you. And you’re lucky that by default Roon does what you want it to do, and plays from your Library. But not all of us want that, so what’s the problem of having the option?

BTW, how do I manually make an album the preferred version? I don’t see that option anywhere on the iPhone app. It says my Library Version is the “Primary Version” no matter what I tap, and the Qobuz version doesn’t have the same ‘3 dots’ to tap, like the Library version does. This is so confusing.

1 Like

the ui is easier to navigate on ipad remote than iphone. patience my friend. there’s much to learn.

The phone UI isn’t feature complete so you have to use a tablet or PC to do versions.
To make something your preferred version you have to add it to your library first, it can’t be your library’s preferred version if it isn’t in it.

+1
Please allow me to choose if to default as primary the local or highest bit rate version.

2 Likes

Yes, please, I mostly want the highest res version where ever it may be and its a real pain selecting the version every time.
Love the idea of prioritising either library or resolution.
It seem strange that as one of the key differentiators for Roon and Qobuz and Tidal is higher quality playback this would have been backed in from the start…

2 Likes

Just encountered a case where I have two high res versions in my local library and Qobuz has 3 of varying resolution and Roon radio choose the lowest res Qobuz version.

All 5 versions show on the album versions tab indicating they are all the same album not different masters, etc.

This is an old thread regardless I just signed up for room and this would be ideal. I don’t have a local library as large as many ppl, only about 1k tracks but there should be an option for this. If I have tidal and qobuz both I would prefer it to snag the highest quality one. I know I can’t tell for sure about the mastering and all that but generally, they are provided the same files from the labels so again this would be dope.

In addition to auto selection of the hires version of an album, also would like to see auto selection of explicit version.

2 Likes