B1159 Android Remotes are freezing [Ticket in]

Also B1160 immediately freezes on my Samsung Galaxy S10 as well as Tab S6. Both on Android 12.

Olaf - Did you turn off the editorial services?

I am not taking 1160 or any other update until we hear back from Roon that this has been resolved. I am stable right now and have a busy weekend ahead.

Another interesting one. I have had three lockups this morning since updating to the latest build. Two of them were after adding music to my library which completely locked up Roon.
But I then added another album and no lockup.
Seems a bit strange, but there is definitely something going on here.

My iPhone is not on Roon Remote EA, just ARC so that is not usable for me to test at the moment.

Actually I had my first Roon crash ever as far as I remember with build 1159.

I added an album from Qobuz to my library and Roon crashed. That was on the core itself which is running on Windows here. No remote involved.

Hi Vincent.
I just did some more tries and it seems the problem is related to Language settings.
English App Language + English Wikipedia + TiVO (= basic settings after re-install) seems to work for me.
Either “German” App Language or adding “German” Wikipedia seems to crash the app.
I did a separate post here with more details as this may help finding the reason …

1 Like

My windows is German, but Roon is English. Also turning off the (English) editorial sources did not prevent the remotes from freezing.

Editorial sources worked fine on the Windows PC with the Roon core, though.

Is your Android Roon Remote App on English or German?

Both tablet and smartphone Android remotes are in English.

I’m on 1160 earlyaccess using swedish. Android tablets and phone freeze as soon as I try to access wikipedia. Tivo seems fine. Updated windows clients and they seem to work - swedish language and Wikipedia english and swedish tested so far. This promises to be something great! Info on lots of local artists.

If it helps Roon: With Android 11, my locale is Germany but my system language and Roon language are English, I also get the freeze when accessing Wikipedia (Tivo is default, then WP order English, German, Spanish, Italian, French). I think it crashed with any WP switch, not entirely sure. In any case when only Tivo, WP English and WP German were available

I had set up a different post, to stress a possbile language issue in post name already, however I now thought I should also write down my findings here. Sorry for doubling. Someone may delete my other post anyway if that would be preferred …

I did some futher Testing:
I especially tested with these 2 albums:

Neil Young - World Record (has no Wikipedia content yet)
Kiss - Alive II (does have Wikipedia content)
  1. App Language English + ALL Editorial source deactivated
    no problems

2. App Language English + TiVO only
    no problems

3. App Language English + TiVO + Wikipedia English
    No problems with both “test records” (As above).
    Freezes when switching to Wikipedia content in “Alive II”
    (By the way - when starting the app freshly installed in setup Wikipedia English is listed above TiVO - HOWEVER TiVO obviously is the first choice! Only after putting TiVO on position 1 and back on position 2 Wikipedia English seems to be first choice …)

So obviously some part of the problem does lie in the Wikipedia content … BUT:

1. ALL Editorial source deactivated + App language English or Polski
    opening “Neil Young - World Record” > no problems
    opening “Kiss - Alive II” > no problems
    (also no other problems noted)

2. ALL Editorial source deactivated + App language German, Norsk, Italiano, Swenski
    opening “Neil Young - World Record” > no problems
    opening “Kiss - Alive II” > FREEZES !!

I repeated this multiple times. I did not check other languages.

For some reason English and Polski work fine, while the other languages I tested lead to immediate freezing when opening Albums that do have Wikipedia content, though ALL Editorial source was deactivated …

I’m having frequent freezing issues with the Android Roon Remote too. Clearing cash and data does not help. Completely uninstalling and reinstalling helped for a little while. Let me know if there are logs I can share.

(android 11 remote on Fairphone 4, ROCK core on NUC. Build 1160 both)

Similar situation, but with Android remote freezing. 8.02am UK) - added Qobuz album to library and remote remains frozen on this screen:

On restart after closing app it showed the album was added normally, opening with this screen:

Have also seen Macbook Air M1 all-in-one as remote against same core crash (close down) immediately on adding an album.

It is not consistently happening.

Yes, same happened here. Album was correctly added after restarting Roon.

1 Like

I left EA today. The issues over the past week were a bit much for me. I know I could have waited to take B1159 until after the holiday, but I didn’t. I know I could have restored from a backup, but I didn’t. I know what to expect being involved in EA. But to be honest, I just wanted to use Roon over the holiday hassle free. I’ve personally lost my taste for EA.

Good luck to all of you. I really appreciate your testing and providing feedback before features are released. I don’t think the non-EA user base understands how much you do for the rest of the community.

Take care,
Vince

2 Likes

This last two releases has been more Alpha quality so I fully understand why you would leave.
I have wiped the Roon data off both Android phones a combined 8 times this weekend and it hasn’t been fun.
I’m hoping that the quality of the builds improves quickly

1 Like

Yep, I hit this issue today when trying to load Stromae’s latest album - complete freeze on two different Android phones.

Will use my Windows tablet for further listening pleasure until the next build comes out.

1 Like

Seems to be fixed with B1164 - mine all working as they should

I can’t seem to delete my last post - I have to wait 49 minutes???!!!

I wanted to delete it because my Android devices are no longer working as they should. I will post a new thread.

EDIT: And now they’re working again - see this thread.

Thanks Roon, seems to be fine with B1164