B1401 Artist sort order not working in file browser and navigating in the folder list

In the file browser, the column headers make the impression as if you could change the sort order (like it does in other views), but most of them aren’t actually doing anything. E.g., I have artist folders here, but the artist “sort” does nothing:

I suppose this may be on purpose, because these are strictly folders and not artists as such, but…

• The arrows in the heading make it look like they do something. They should not be there if they don’t
  • Most of the columns are pointless
  • With a very long list of artist folders, the only way to go down and find a specific one is endless scrolling (or dragging the scroll handle, but it’s a bit awkward). There’s no “jump to letter by keyboard” as in album or artist view (and in Windows/Mac file market managers). Really needs this, and a filter
1 Like

I might be wrong (and I cant’ check), but I think those columns apply to metadata in tracks, so it makes sense they’re not populated for folders. If there are folders that don’t have tracks, then there’s nothing to sort, but navigating to a folder that does have tracks will probably honor the current sort order.

Yes I agree:

But it looks weird and confusing. Maybe they should disappear or be grayed out if there is nothing to display, and not have interactive sort arrows.

I just noticed because I tried to go to the bottom of the folder list, in the absence of a faster navigation method, which is the bigger problem. Keyboard nav and a filter would be nice

I see where you’re coming from, but one can argue that it’s ok to sort an empty list, which is what the track list is when there are only folders.

Regarding keyboard nav, what happens if you select a folder in the list and then press a key?

Nothing. Well, as soon as you select a folder it goes into multi-selection mode as usual, but you can’t jump to a letter

Hi, @Suedkiez, thank you for your report. In this case the Album artist column is only going to work for items which has data in this column. That said, folder objects cannot have data in that column and that’s why you are not seeing any changes for folders:

However, I am going to pass this feedback to the product team.

Thanks!

Ivan

1 Like