B45-B139 ARC Android - massive download terribly slow & unreliable

I’ve seen several threads reporting slow download of albums from Core to ARC.
While that still seems to be true I’d like to point out one other factor that makes download experience painful:
Download process is terribly unstable.

It frequently:

• pauses (and often doesn’t resume)
  • stops with ARC app still responsive
  • while working in background often stops and when you switch to ARC it just restarts

Actually the only predictable way of downloading is to have the app in foreground and don’t let the screen go off. Then it usually works constantly.

I’m trying to download ~4500 tracks since Wednesday morning and still have 2000+ to download. All is happening in fast home WiFi (5G).

It might be partially related to Android battery saving but there are apps that handle similar processes in a seamless way (Tidal, Qobuz, Netflix to mention some of them).

1 Like

On Android you can go to Battery Optimization and turn that off for ARC. Then it keeps downloading consistently and even if the app is in the background or the phone sleeps.

I haven’t noticed any significantly bad effects on battery usage either. It remains slow to download, though.

This setting is not an option on iOS

@Carl I’m not sure if adding random production builds numbers to an early access thread makes much sense and helps anybody…

Hi @Piotr_Pekala,
You should prefix your report with them, this way it helps keep track of what build has the issue (even if it across more than one build it still help to know what build you are run when it is still observed )
If I got the the builds numbers wrong please correct or let me know I’ll happily adjust.

I initiated last download process in B132. However it was exactly the same in the first production ARC build and 1-2 early earlyaccess builds. So I find it a general ARC problem and that’s why I didn’t use any build number.

That helps a lot. Thanks.

1 Like

If only they could fix the slow as molasses downloads :slight_smile:

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Downloading music to ARC is slow

A post was merged into an existing topic: Downloading music to ARC is slow

I completely forgot how bad is the download experience.

After the SSO logout I lost all my downloads. Unfortunately nothing has improved since the earliest builds until B207. Even with the battery optimization switched off the download process stops every few dozens of tracks.
It works more or less stable (although still terribly slow) only when ARC is in an active app and screen is unlocked.

Please improve that!

For me, there are no interruptions when battery optimization is off, but still slow. Let’s hope this is making progress:

I guess this might be a good sign that it is?

Samsungs tend to be quite aggressive with apps restraining & resource management.
Maybe that’s the reason but I don’t see any way to disable anything more than battery optimization.

Fingers crossed for those improvements!

1 Like

Possible, I have a Fairphone and so that’s different

It’s no better, this is on a Samsung with Roon running in the foreground. Nine minutes no movement.
Had to kill and restart the app to get it going again.
Hopeless

Fifteen minutes later, a massive three tracks more and it’s stuck again

As a test thought I’d download some tidal tracks. 18 in two minutes. Two hundred in twenty minutes in tidal.
ARC is completely borked. Latest early access build on a Samsung s21 with a brand new mesh network.

That’s exactly my experience over last 3 days, just the target downloads number is bigger :slight_smile:

1 Like