Background audio analysis speed

Hello, could you please help me understand before doing any modification on Roon preferences Library, if you set to max available (12 Cores) the background analysis and your hardware where you have roon core installed has only 6 Cores what is going to happen?
it will give any error?
It will recognise automatically the max available Cores of your hardware and set them… in my case im using a MacBookPro i7 with 6 Cores.

thank you

Roon won’t let you pick more cores than you have, I usually set it at 2 below maximum if I want it to get done faster then once done switch it to throttled

I think the confusion here might be related to the fact that the Macbook Pro i7 has 6 physical cores but 12 logical cores, so Roon is correctly reporting that it could use 12 cores for background processing. This might help explain it.

so you say that roon is able to understand the hardware where resides and update this menu with the available cores.? i dont have another hardware to install roon and give it a try but it would be great if you can tell me in your case how many cores you have listed in this menu… thanks

Yes, that’s correct. On my mid 2012 Macbook Pro I only have the option to select up to 8 cores.

If you are running your own ROON Core on a NUC, is the processing overhead transferred to the NUC rather than the end point computer used?

Audio analysis is always done on the Core - so if your Core is a ROCK/NUC system, that is where the processing will be done. Endpoints don’t enter into it.

That’s great, thanks. I guess I can dedicate all cores from the CPU to it then. It’s an i5 with 4 cores, so I’ll set it to 4. I assume no issues with doing that?

You may find that Roon playback will suffer while the full Audio Analysis process is running, since everything is being dedicated to the process.

That’s why some of us will run the heavyweight process overnight, or others adapt the strategy of setting Audio Analysis to the Throttle setting so that they can listen to music without possible issues.

1 Like

Thank you. If I’ve interpreted correctly what you’ve said there then, if I set it to throttled, it will show deference to any audio being played, but when audio is not being played, it will provide full processing power in the background?

No - Throttled is one of the settings. Roon does not change the setting by itself depending on whether audio is being played or not. You tell Roon what setting you want.

1 Like

Ah yes, sorry I didn’t mean in regards to how to select it. I meant in regard to if throttled was selected, is my assumption above correct?

No - throttled means throttled. It does not change the amount of processing power allocated to Audio Analysis depending on whether audio is being played or not.

1 Like

OK understood. That leaves me with the decision then what to set it to. Any recommendations here? As it’s a 4 core i5, with a default setting of 1 core, it would seem reasonable to set it to 2 (50%)?

1 Like

Just try it and see.

That’s what I always used no matter how many cores I’ve had and 50% has always proved safe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.