Backup [My Strategy]

I wanted to share what I do for backups for other out there wondering about bit rot or even how to backup…

Sense I can remember I have used FreeNAS for my file storage (Even before they moved to ZFS). I have always been a fan of ZFS data recovery…

Unlike RAID 5 and the Likes, ZFS can detect corrupted data and correct it via its checksum.

In top of this I also setup snapshots to be able to recover data in any situation.

I also take advantage of the docker images available on FreeNAS 10, So I use syncthing to replicated data one way.
I Keep my master copy on my NAS and let it replicate to my SSD on my Music Server.

Re-Ripping over 200 CD’s is not fun so I intend to take precautions to avoid this procedure at all cost :stuck_out_tongue:

Not to long ago I deleted my master copy on my nas and the del replicated down to my Music Server, That was not fun! :astonished:

My first reaction was to go back to my last snapshot of the day and revert :smiley:
My data is back! phhheww!

My FreeNAS Server consists of 4 4TB Hitachi HGST Drives (Before WD bought them) For my vdev and Two Intel S3700 (With capacitors) for my Zil on RAID 1. I also use another two Intel S3700 on RAID1 for my docker pool.

I use Z2 for my vdev , RAIDZ2 allows you to have more redundancy with the cost of loosing two drives for redundancy… Yes I loose half of my drives but I sleep well at night :stuck_out_tongue:

I use 32GB of ECC RAM, ECC RAM is very important on a ZFS file system because it uses memory to store checksum data, If anything goes bad inside your memory and you dont have ECC… Kiss your data good bye…

Hope to see what others do for data redundancy/back-up’s!

Open to any questions and or comments! :slight_smile:

Only 2oo CD’s? You need a bigger nightmare… lol

3 Likes

LOL
I guess we can add a shoe box?
LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve got Macs and not using a NAS. The Core is on a Mac mini to which are tied 1x3TB and 1x1TB external drive - the mini has a 500GB internal drive too. Music resides on all of these. I have another iMac in the house which is the main computer as the mini is dedicated to Roon Core.
There are a couple of 3 TB drives connected to the iMac which I use for backing up my music. I run Carbon Copy Cloner on the iMac; it is set on auto backup and basically only backs up changed files. The first backup was atrociously long, but after that it’s been perfect. I’ve had a crash and restored successfully. Works like a dream and cheap too.

1 Like

@Cemil,

Interesting… Thanks for sharing your back up strategy.
I have an all UNIX/Linux Network… With the exception of ONE machine that is the kids gaming machine…

I been down the road of external disks… Not my cup of tea… But I am glad is working for you!

I’ve got all my music on a Synology NAS in RAID 1. Backing up on a weekly basis to AWS Glacier. Costs me a few euro’s per month, but better safe than sorry :wink:

2 Likes

Nice. I used to use Crash Plan, I stop using them because of their poor linux client implementation.
Looking at alternatives now.