Backup Strategy Reminder

So got around to building a NUC/ROCK over the last week to take my server off some old server gear and give Roon its own box. All went well and installed ROCK. Went to restore backup - went well also. Except it didn’t. Said it completed but there was zero information on my new build. It saw my music files on the second drive but no playlists or history or any of that.
I had what I thought was a configured backup. The “backup” was there - but strangely contained no information. Not sure if it was a networking thing or what but there was no indication of the backup failing.
Luckily I still had my old config so booted it up and manually ran an update to an external USB device. Now all of a sudden there was nearly a GB worth of information in this backup.
This then restored without issue on the new NUC and I am up and running.
Could have been a lot worse if, for example, there was a failure of the hard drive in the original system I would have lost a lot of information.
So don’t be like me - check your backups and ensure they contain actual data - not just an empty file structure. I will be monitoring this to see what I need to change.

3 Likes

Checking the backup is always good policy.
I’ve worked with institutions where they haven’t done so.