Bandcamp Integration (or just their metadata scraping)

I concur, as far as I can tell Bandcamp seem ethical and pay the artists unlike certain streaming services +1 for Bandcamp

1 Like

Im still in trial, Im pretty shocked Roon doesnt connect to bandcamp. But I tend to download all my bandcamp in AIFF and put it in the server anyway

1 Like

+1 for integrating Bandcamp

It’d be nice to be able to leverage bandcamp’s metadata for artists/albums they host, however, not sure how easily done given they’re not a full blown streaming service - you only get to stream what you’ve purchased. This would mean they’d have to be excluded from the streaming version of Roon Radio and I imagine differences in how they’re interfaced in general.

What I do too. I love BC and buy the digital albums to go onto my server.

+1 for Bandcamp integration.

Is there any reason why Bandcamp can’t just be treated as Tidal is within the Roon apps? If there is missing metadata users can fill in the blanks if they wish. It would be far better than not being there imo.

2 Likes

This would require significant engineering from Bandcamp. As a low-overhead distributor for independent artists/small labels, I doubt they feel that’s the highest priority for their limited budget, but it’s something Roon could ask them. The metadata problem is hard for them to deal with (I asked them) because they are at the mercy of artists/labels for the info. Of 15 Roon-unidentified albums I added last 12 months, 10 are from Bandcamp.

Yeah, it would probably be better if some kind of link between bandcamp metadata provisioning and musicbrainz existed. Also, that might be more in the spirit of the bandcamp model. And that way the metadata would reach Roon, too.

Fair enough. Presumably at Roon’s end it would be the same investment issue and/or it simply wouldn’t possible for them to do the work required at the bandcamp end.

It’s a shame though as I can see their being a lot of synergy between Roon & bandcamp.

+1 for Bandcamp integration.

1 Like

Please add Bandcamp to Roon!

1 Like

I sympathize, but Bandcamp is not in the metadata business, nor do they want to be (I’ve asked them). They leave it to the artists/labels to create and upload metadata to the relevant metadata providers. Some do, some don’t, some don’t do it reliably or comprehensively. Having spoken with some independent artists about this, they just don’t have the time, inclination, or tech skills to do it. Roon is a drop in the water relative to their other revenue sources (gigs, physical albums, soft goods, widely available streaming platforms that curate their metadata), paltry as those are for most independents.

My practice now is to add/correct entries for Bandamp releases on Musicbrainz and hope those filter back to Roon, as they do eventually. If we all did that for a few releases we care about, the problem would go away :slight_smile:

6 Likes

… and with the bandcamp import user script it’s even easier (well, one needs Greasemonkey or Tampermonkey, too).

Most of the Bandcamp downloads actually have decent ID3 tags, which Musicbrainz Picard can push to Musicbrainz via a plug-in. The main hassle is when the artist(s) are not already in Musicbrainz, adding an artist is way more complicated.

Yes, indeed. That’s where the fun begins… :wink:

Actually I would say adding an artist to MusicBrainz is trivial, whats the problem ?

Well, like:

• Is the artist already there?
  • If not: what kind of information can one find to create a meaningful artist entry (biographical data, if available, references to other sources, …)?
  • It’s a band? Who are the members? Founded when? Still active?
  • How well are credits documented at bandcamp? Is there enough information at hand to create good relationship entries (performer credits)?
  • What’s said about works (compositions)? Is it safe to create new works? Who wrote what?
1 Like

So five days into my trial, I’ve not found anything I don’t like about room, it blows the native Sonos app out of the water, with one exception… Bandcamp integration.

I frequently preview and purchase new music from bandcamp and have a tendancy to purchase, then immidately stream a copy whilst not at my workstation where I’d download it. Sometimes this can take weeks if not months before I add the lossless files into my library.

First I’m just asking for the ability to login to and stream existing purchases from bandcamp.

Secondly, if search, recommendations and metadata was to be hooked in too, it’d make an amazing platform for lesser known artists to be discovered!

5 Likes

+1 for Bandcamp integration

+1 Bandcamp on Roon

1 Like