BBC Radio 3 Live bitrate outside the UK

I know it has been discussed forever that BBC Radio 3 is streamed in the UK @320kbps and outside the UK @96kbps. I can very well understand the reasons why the BBC is imposing this limitation. It’s servers would implode if suddenly the whole world would stream the proms at 320kbps.

With Roon streaming BBC Radio 3 live, the situation is completely different. BBC has one link to Roon, providing the live signal. Whether that one link is 320kbps or 96kbps makes no difference server capacity (or cost) wise.

Roon could really stand out from the crowd if it negotiated a deal with the BBC allowing it to redistribute the 320kbps signal to its (paying) customers outside the UK.

The fact that the 320kbps signal is available in DVB-C MPEG2 via cable networks outside the UK (Switzerland in my case) proves that this is possible. BBC does enter into agreements like this.

3 Likes

Nope, it’s not routed centrally… each Roon Server connects to the BBC streaming site individually.

2 Likes

Too bad this does not work.

This topic will automatically close in a day.

Why?

Because it has been answered.

Ok - it is not possible and will never be possible
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.