Benefit of "High End" Streamers?

Reading up on all this Benchmark kit, they sound very good on paper and seem to get universal praise from both camps of the audio world. Still way out of my price range mind. Your lucky to have built such a nice system. One day perhaps if I get a windfall.

I did get LA4 before getting a dac for the imputs as in the future I want a TT and a CD, or in case I’ll get a dac with no volume. I started from scratch, from speakers backwards depending on my wallet for every purchase. My aim is one or two pieces of gear yearly. In between I’m using what I have in hand to fill the gaps. I did not get the HPA4 instead of LA4 as I do not use headphones at home.

Are there any dealers to try out Benchmark stuff in the UK or do you have to buy to try? Would like to hear the system before spending that sort of money.

Some thesis to spice up Sunday a bit.

High End sales would slump by some 50-80% if costumers actually could blind test targeting SQ easily. You don’t see this option in brick and mortar stores and also YT audio evangelists shy away like the devil from holy water. Probably for reasons.
Means people would buy deliberately fancy PR and casings when deciding for the product in spite of their likely failure of telling the $5 power cord from the $1.500 one. Or nearly any other “audiophile” attributed gadget or actual DAC or streamer.

2 Likes

I think a lot of people miss the point of why some of us change our kit. It’s not ‘all about whether there is a measurable sound improvement’. I don’t blind test cars, watches or any other ‘discretionary purchases. These things often deliver the same basic experience with ‘a different style’. Sometimes, making the change is all that’s needed to gain some satisfaction. I change my kit because I feel like it. That doesn’t need to be justified according to someone else’s arbitrary standards or opinions, however well-reasoned they think they are.

9 Likes

Well said Paul.
Exactly why I was at my Porsche dealership yesterday looking at a different Porsche :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Bugger all wrong with the one I have but grass is always greener the other side…even when it’s not.

1 Like

high end sound bar maybe for you Ace :wink:

1 Like

I need a pair then!

You would love this appartment block in SIngapore then

just to be on topic I bet they have some pretty smart hifi going on these places too…I cant afford to buy there that’s for sure

1 Like

If the marketing pitch mentions timing or jitter when talking about Ethernet or WiFi, isn’t it just as false?

Has this now turned into a pissing contest?

Would you care to explain yourself here?
While my post was slightly off topic it was in a direct reply to the analogy of high end goods so I thought it was quite appropriate.

3 Likes

I am referring to standalone (i.e. non-streaming) DACs. A streamer DAC is in theory a streamer/DAC combo, but I agree it’s not very clear where the streamer ends and DAC begins. That’s also true for DACs that support I2S.

That’s why I’m buying a Roon Ready integrated amp. Probably should just get a Roon Ready pair of speakers!

The same can be said of HQPlayer, you can configure its DSP, and it can create some magic. There is large crowd of HQPlayer fan here.

Are you talking about pure excitement, or is it something more palpable?

I’ve been quite lucky, got both AHB2s and the HPA4 as ex-demo units from SCV Distribution via their eBay store. Very easy to deal with, and offered me additional discount on repeat business.

As I mentioned earlier, the DAC3 HGC was used, from a private seller on eBay.

I’ve saved about £5k in total relative to buying new. I consider myself very lucky though that I have had the means to indulge in some very good gear and an understanding spouse who doesn’t object.

https://www.google.com/search?q=benchmark%20media%20uk%20dealers

I’ve seen Premium sound list ex-dem gear on eBay.

No experience of Igloo Audio or Audio-Philia

2 Likes

Neither, HQPlayer’s DSP is a serious stuff.

I’m quite confused about what “serious” means, but I’m not going to persist…

That is fine, you just need to look around this forum, and Roon main website, plenty of info about the HQPlayer (Signalyst), and this will clear your mind.

1 Like