Best Buy Tidal deal has ended

When I switched over I used Soundiiz. It worked quickly, and seamlessly. I believe that there is a code something like “helloqobuz”

I was able to transfer playlists…but I didn’t know I could transfer libraries

These are the relevant paragraphs in the Best Buy email. I’m not clear that if you don’t transition to Tidal you are automatically refunded by Best Buy or if you have to call them:

After transferring your plan to Tidal, you will need to cancel your Best Buy plan by calling us at 1-888-BESTBUY (1-888-237-8289) and receive a prorated refund for the unused remainder of your term.

If you choose not to transition your Best Buy subscription [XXXXXXXXXXX] to Tidal, your subscription would no longer be active after 9/28/2023 and we would give you a prorated refund for the unused portion of your subscription.

they are basically saying if you want to cancel and get refund right now, then call. If you want to wait and get refund in September , it will occur automatically. When I called to cancel Immediately, the customer service people didn’t know what i was talking about and knew nothing of the email sent by their company, BestBuy. go figure

1 Like

Yep…That worked. I first listed just the albums from Tidal and exported to a Soundiiz file and then imported it into QOBUZ…it took a while but it worked.

I didn’t get my favorites yet…

Maybe helpful for some folks—Tidal offers solid discounts (40-50%) for students, first responders, and military.

I’ve not yet received the dreaded email from Best Buy.

I only signed onto Tidal because of the Best Buy deal. I just renewed a month ago. I’ve got over 8,000 albums in my local library and less than 200 Tidal albums. I can do just fine without Tidal if it is going to double in price. I’m subscribed to Apple Music as well and that can handle my non-library needs quite effectively. Only question is whether my wife will be happy to not have the ability to steam stuff via Roon. Obviously I would love to see Apple Music integrated into Roon but I know that is not going to happen.

I guess if either my wife or I really miss Tidal I can give Qobuz a try. My wife’s setup in her office/retreat space is actually Sonos gear so I could get her back on the Sonos app because she could stream Apple Music via Sonos.

I wonder how many subscribers this is going to cost them?

I guess if either my wife or I really miss Tidal I can give Qobuz a try. My wife’s setup in her office/retreat space is actually Sonos gear so I could get her back on the Sonos app because she could stream Apple Music via Sonos.

I just switched to QOBUZ Duo for my wife and I. It is about $25/yr cheaper than Best Buy/Tidal and it’s all Hi Res. And I flipped all my Roon Library Tidal albums to Qobuz as I said above.

And it’s got an APP on Apple Carplay.

1 Like

DITTO here r for everything. I first subscribed to TIDAL two years ago because the Best Buy deal also, I have stayed with them because of it despite the fact that I realize that Qobuz was a better service in terms of audiophile quality files. Interestingly, I lost access to the deal because of a credit card snafu – – I’m so glad I didn’t renew. However, I did go into TIDAL and buy a one month subscription so that I could use Soundiiz to transfer all my playlists and albums over to Qobuz, and that’s work a treat. There is a $5 subscription to transfer multiple playlists at once. I don’t know how many thousand people this Best Buy/TIDAL debacle has affected, maybe not that many – – I can’t think it’s good for TIDAL’s business plan given that it’s already been in trouble due to MQA’s woes

After some discussion wife and I agreed to let the Best Buy Tidal expire on 9/28 and see if we miss it. If we do then we will give Qobuz a try. Or try a hardware solution like RooPlay vis RooExtend to allow Airplay streaming of Apple Music.

Anyone planning something similar I recommend you download out of Roon the list of what you have in your Tidal library. That will make it easy to transfer over to Qobuz if you decide to go that route. You can easily get a Soundiiz CSV file exported from Roon. I did it by filtering my albums down to Tidal library only, selecting them all and then using the three dots picked Export.

You can do a similar thing with Playlists if you have those via Tidal.

1 Like

Would someone post a screen capture of their Best Buy subscription page (anonymized)?

Here’s mine which is not showing expirations.

I can hear it, and it sounds pretty obvious to me. I’m shocked if anyone can’t hear the difference.

1 Like

I signed up for both services, and I’m ready to stick with Qobuz alone just on the merits. Something about the Tidal MQA sounds a little “off” to me, plus Qobuz seems to have everything I want.

If you can hear it, that’s awesome, but almost no one can tell the difference between 320 (what Spotify caps at) and lossless. Plenty of studies have shown that:

“The analysis showed that there was no statistically significant difference in quality between the un- compressed signals and AAC-LC 320 kbps compression, which means participants did not perceive difference between two formats.”

1 Like

When I went to my Best Buy “Memberships, Subscriptions and Protection” page it looked just like yours except that the next billing date was in August 2024, a year after I last renewed. I canceled my subscription online on the Best Buy site, which triggered a prompt that Best Buy wanted to call me to arrange the details of the cancelation. The call came a minute or two later, the support rep didn’t know about the Tidal deal going away but confirmed my cancelation. He said that I’d get a refund within a day or two. My memberships page now shows that my subscription is canceled and I received a follow-up email from Best Buy. All very efficient. I had emailed support@tidal.com to express my dismay, and received a reply the next day that clearly acknowledges the 9/28/2023 cutoff date. Note the word “maintain” in the first sentence.

"Thank you for contacting TIDAL Support.

Beginning September 28, 2023, Best Buy will no longer renew or maintain TIDAL subscriptions. This means that if the annual plan you purchased was set to end after September 28, 2023, you may be eligible for a pro-rated refund of any time remaining on your plan.

We understand you are disappointed to learn that your TIDAL subscription through Best Buy will be ending on September 28, 2023. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

Although this offer is ending, we hope you’ve enjoyed your experience with TIDAL and choose to stay with us. If you have any questions on how to transition to TIDAL directly, please let us know so we can get you up and running. If you have questions related to your prorated refund, be sure to contact Best Buy Support at 1-888-BESTBUY."

I canceled yesterday because I’d already decided not to sign up directly with Tidal – I have Qobuz already and was finding Tidal somewhat duplicative of Qobuz anyway – and canceling now versus waiting for it to run out increased my prorated refund. If I had planned to stay with Tidal I would, of course, have taken advantage of their 30-day free reward for doing so.

To be fair to Tidal, they’ve moved off MQA very quickly, now that it seems to be dead, and offer hi-res FLAC files that are probably bit-identical to those from Qobuz.

@Alex_Osadzinski Okay thanks for the clarity. Still no email from them so I’m baffled at this point because I can only assume all BestBuy TIDAL customers have been notified. I’ve confirmed email address, white-listed TIDAL, etc.

Sounds like you had a great deal while it lasted, but $10.99 a month is still a good price to stream CD quality music whenever you want and for as much as you want. And $5 a month for each seat on a family plan is a steal.

I get a bit of a deal on tidal as I have a lifetime Plexpass and get tidal through Plex at a reduced price, about £8.99 a month I think for CD quality. I still use Plexamp for foreign travel (Bluetooth only) as it’s 100% reliable where Arc simply isn’t.

Tidal fills the gaps in Roon for me in my own library and where Qobuz doesn’t have it either (Qobuz has quite a few gaps in the music I listen to), so I subscribe to both Qobuz (yearly plan) and Tidal, both are worth it for me

If Tidal or Qobuz go out of business, Roon will rapidly lose its appeal for me.

I have albums saved in my Roon library that I listen to through Tidal, but I have created no library on Tidal itself. If I now sign up for Qobuz and then drop my Tidal subscription, will I loose my Roon library?