Best Buy Tidal deal has ended

Alan when you add an album in Room that is on Tidal, it adds it to your Tidal library as well.
So you can use something like Soundiiz to transfer the library to Qobuz if you want to.

Thanks, Michael. To be clear, are you saying that if I donā€™t transfer my Tidal Library to Qobuz then I will lose those entries in my Roon library? (My concern is with my Roon library, not with my Tidal or Qobuz libraries.) Thanks again.

I too received the email from Best Buy. My guess is TIDAL suffered some losses from MQA bankruptcy and the cost of securing FLAC files. The only way they could get the extra money is by stopping these ā€˜dealsā€™ and have people pay premium.

TIDAL has a good footprint - mostly from folks who either were ā€˜invested in MQA decoderā€™ DACā€™s and platforms or audiophiles. Folks, like myself moving to Qobuz for my Roon application will definitely put a dent on TIDAL. For my car and gym streaming I am subscribed to Spotify.

I will be ā€˜copyingā€™ all albums, playlists and tracks from TIDAL to Qobuz and Spotify. I think TIDAL will keep your archived files (I am hoping). So in the future you can always return back to them when they have a better deal. For now it was great times with TIDAL for the last 6 yrs.

Iā€™d say people would now have to pay the standard price for the service.

4 Likes

Does anyone have the link to the thread on how to make sure all your Tidal albums are also in your Qobuz library? Just want to do that before I cancel.

Bigger bummer for me is not losing Tidal on Roon, cause I have Qobuz and I can deal with losing a few albums, but rather losing Tidal on Tesla. Most of my listening while driving was Tidal personalized playlists. Guess Iā€™m going back to Spotify while driving. Booger.

I have been paying 20 Euro per month all the time as it is Tidalā€™s normal pricing. For me the premium has always been the MQA thing.

Iā€™ve been subbed to Qobuz at the same time as well. It has most of the music that I am listening to.

With Tidal now switching to hi-res FLAC I donā€™t see a reason to stay subscribed anymore as Qobuz has had hi-res FLAC for years and costs just over half of a year of Tidal Max with their annual subscription.

For the missing music I have an annual subscription to Deezer. Which sounds really good as well. The only downside is that it doesnā€™t have Roon integration.

I may be one of the minority who stays with TIDAL at the conventional price.

3 Likes

Another for the minority - at least for the time being. Iā€™m keeping my Tidal sub (top tier) whilst they sort their s**t out, and I also took out a Qobuz sub when they went online here in Canada. I like the Qobuz booklets with quite a lot of their classical music, but their library is not as deep as Tidalā€™s - Tidal also has a far better ā€œnew releasesā€ feature.

Like I said in another of these endless threads, if the perfect streaming service existed weā€™d all be using it and not posting on these threads.

thatā€™s a bumper! I mostly use Qobuz and Deezer and Apple Music. I guess I must get my refund. It was kind of nice to have to tidal playlist, but I could live without. I like the music from Deezer (hard to find music) and Qobuz.

That is sad that they donā€™t let people who paid for the annual subscription to finish its road. I will not be joining them. I think Spotify will be much better!

1 Like

Hi Alan
You will lose the Tidal entries from your Roon library only, as soon as you log out of Tidal account.
They will go into your list of albums that cannot be found in Roon.

1 Like

That may be true. I cannot sense any difference in their FLAC files without the MQA. I did not realize they had abandoned MQA.

Thanks, Michael. Thatā€™s helpful.

Tidal should have proactively sent this mail out to all of its Best Buy-based customers. Iā€™m baffled that they didnā€™t.

Weā€™ll never know why this deal fell apart - either Tidal or Best Buy could have soured on the economics or something else may be in play. Tidal did not handle this well, though. If theyā€™d contacted us directly and offered us a discount for a year or even six months, I suspect many of us would have more willingly set up a payment instrument with them. That would have probably led to converting some of us to regular paying customers over time. They way they handled it made it just too easy to let the thing age out, which is what Iā€™m doing.

I actually didnā€™t have much in my Tidal library - I had Tidal primarily for EDM content that my son used to listen to before he left for college. I just removed the Tidal login from Roon and canā€™t see any benefit to working with Best Buy on cancellation given other peopleā€™s experience here and the fact that weā€™re probably talking about $10 at the most. Oh well.

Perhaps Block/Square shareholders are becoming increasingly fatigued by the losses that Tidal has caused to their bottom line?

2 Likes

Got the notice, switched to tidal using the special link in the email, downgraded to hi-fi (from plus), canceled the best buy subscription and got the refund for ~1.5 remaining months. All my stuff is still there.

I guess Iā€™ll contact Best Buy or TIDAL support since I seem to be one of the only subscribers who has not had the email arrive.

One other change I noticed at Tidal ā€” they seem to be eliminating their free subscription tier (mp3 quality with ads), which I believe was only offered in the US. Hereā€™s a capture from the Tidal website by Internet Archive from earlier this year. The current Tidal USA website no longer shows a Free tier.

I cancelled my Tidal HiFi subscription 2 years ago because I was hardly using it (favoring Qobuz instead). Tidal didnā€™t disable my account, and they simply bumped me down to the Free tier. My favorites and playlists remained intact, and I could still play music. I just checked and my free subscription still works (plays mp3 with ads), but I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see it stop working soon.

@mSpot I wonder when TIDAL will message Free tier subscribers about the end of that plan and how it will be worded?

I always found Tidal to be just overpriced and my only interactions with their customer service have been really awful compared to Qobuz. At one point a while back I thought I was eligible for a trial and I ended up getting charged, I tried to get a refund from Tidal right away but they refused to help me at all. Fortunately my bank investigated and assisted me with a chargeback. In the past when Iā€™ve had issues with Qobuz they are very quick to offer a free month of service.

I also hate that Tidal seems to heavily push hip hop and pop down my throat despite all of my listening history being prog rock, classic rock, and metal. Iā€™m all for competition, but they overcharge for their service, treat their customers poorly, and offer the same things that others provide for much less. No wonder they are terminating these deals, they are mismanaged and it is finally hurting their bottom line.

Iā€™m just going to let my subscription lapse and get the refund at end of Sept, Iā€™m too lazy to bother. I did a ā€œpoor manā€™s Soundiizā€ and set album filter to Tidal and not Qobuz and noted down the ones Iā€™m missing and added a bunch of them that I really cared about on Qobuz. Then logged out of Tidal on Roon. Good riddance.

Will miss the Tidal mixes on Tesla native app. Otherwise I donā€™t think Iā€™ll notice.