Best hi Res settings for HQPlayer

Hi, just purchased and set up after many hours I got it to work,was wondering what are the best settings,both within Roon and HQPlayer
Tia

Moved to right category

1 Like

I’m not sure there are “best” settings it depends on what you want to achieve.
Also list what DAC and other equipment you are using.

Hi Tia, welcome to the “club”. Jussi, the developer of HQPlayer, strongly recommends to take the “default” settings as the starting point.

The further configuration would seriously depend on at least two things:
1 - What is the DAC model that you use
2 - What is the CPU/GPU/Memory performance of your source set-up.

Knowing 1) and 2) plus some personal tastes, imho, it would be possible to share more opinions. Would you like PCM or DSD etc., etc., etc…

Edit: Ah, another immediate tip on ROON+HQPlayer duo - switch off all DSP in ROON, let Roon only stream bit perfect content into HQPlayer. All DSP, like headroom levelling, convolution, EQ, upsampling etc., should ideally be happening in HQPlayer.

1 Like

I’m using windows pc for HQPlayer I have Roon Rock on a nuc,and also have a Chord Qutest and Arcam ST60,but if using the HQPlayer with Roon all other devices must be disabled as HQPlayer should be the only one running apparently,So what I was wondering was what’s the best setting configuration to get the best hi Res available

Search the forum lots of info on qutest

Nuc is an i5 with a nvme SSD and SSD I’ll have to check the ram when I get home,
Thanks for your interest and help

Mm Thanks,I’m ready to play :blush:

With ROON Rock and Windows PC, certainly the performance of windows PC what is iportant for HQPlayer, where it is installed and calculations take place.

However @ged_hickman1 shared a perfect quote about HQP with Qutest! Good news that in general most of harware should not have difficulties with PCM playback on higher rates, such as recommended 705.6/768k with LNS15. Some filters may be “heavier” than others but should not be drama… This is with DSD output where a heavy processing normally takes place.

For filters description with basic use cases Jussi put together a good chapter in the manual. Choice would depend on source content and your preference on top. But important thing that these are only recomendations not a ground rule. As long as you enjoy - is successful choice. And I’m sure with a bit of search in HQPlayer chapter here you may found some more of other people preferences.

Edit: if you are listening with headphones you can also look up for oratory or audioeq parametric equaliser settings for your model (PEQ), HQPlayer has a strong support for this, it can change your listening experience drammatically.

1 Like

Well it worked last night, now everything is playing but no sound

Does it work without ROON for starters? Just HQplayer alone?

Got there in the end, Thanks

1 Like

If you find a sweet spot in your system feel free to share in following thread ! Don’t be surprised at start the discovery with filters is exciting and we all were jumping from one to another like crazy…

Thank you, I’m enjoying, I’m very grateful for your help

1 Like

Hello:
I apologize for continuing that post a year later. I have an Antipodes K50 and my DAC is a Mola Mola Tambaqui (it does not appear in the list of Dacs). Its best theoretical inputs are I2S and AES/EBU which are limited to PCM 24/192 KHz. I don’t care, but in my case, what filters do you recommend? For now I have set poly-sinc-gauss-long, Nx Filter: poly-sinc-gauss-hieres-lp. Dither: gauss-1.Rated limit:192000
Do you know other good possibilities?
Thanks

That is a very good starting point and I give strong recommendation to those settings as very universally applicable.

Also remember to set “DAC Bits” to 24.

Specific choice of filters depends on your personal preferences and sonical focus areas. It also depends on music genre you are listening. I would recommend to take a look at the Help page you can find near top right corner of the /config page. There’s a table listing filters with some suggestions for different music genres, etc.

Thanks a lot, Jussi.
I ask two questions, if you please.

I’ve been reading at the post “Best 2023 Hq Player filters” where they also recommend poly-sinc-gauss short filter for the Mola Mola DAC, but what Nx Filter and Dither would you recommend?

Another partner recommend poly-sinc-gauss-xla. The same question. What Nx and dither.

Sorry for my bad English

All the poly-sinc-gauss family of filters are good. With wide variety of different tunings for different purposes/genres.

poly-sinc-gauss-hires(-lp) is designed primarily for Nx use. Also other gauss filters, including poly-sinc-gauss-halfband (as long as Apod counter stays zero) go for Nx.

Since the data goes through further DSP in the DAC, I would mostly go with TPDF or Gauss1 dither.

1 Like

Thank you very much.
I’ll try it this weekend.