Best linear power supply for Nucleus now?

I think it’s a bit of both, but the result is the same. The better your system, the longer and easier it is to enjoy.
That’s what I look for in a system, and not A/B testing.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more :grinning:

1 Like

While I rarely use Roon anymore I can provide some feedback on use of an LPS in a USB to DAC music server. Firstly much of the equipment we use isn’t working optimally, the SMPS’s that “comes with” are the equivalent of feeding a high octane engine low octane gas… it will run but not without misses and reduced performance. Secondly computers are electrically “dirty” environments for USB out, sub optimal power just makes it worse. I’ve used SoTM SPS-500, HDPlex 200W and the latest a JS-2 to power various NUC’s with Roon, as quality of the PS improved background resolution improved and USB irritants diminished.To be frank, this isn’t something that someone who buys their gear at an electronics super store can take advantage of… you have to have speakers, DAC, and amplification that won’t blur or add their own irritants to hear the difference in what the source is putting out. Magnepan, Quad, and electrostatic speaker owners will know whereof I speak.

2 Likes

For me it was a very significant improvement. I’m using a linear PS from Small Green Computer. Not a subtle change at all and all for the better. If you are connecting N+ direct to DAC and have a fairly resolving system ai think it’s very likely you will be happy with an LPS running Nucleus or Nucleus+.

1 Like

HDPLEX 300W made a huge difference in my system. It is feeding three devices: 12V LinkSys extender > 19V Nucleus+ > 7.5V Matrix X-PDIF 2 > DAC

Having one LPS instead of 3 noisy SMPS next to my DAC, pre and power amp resulted in better sound are every level, mainly sound stage and delineation / air around instruments.

1 Like

Serhan,

I’m glad it’s working out for you plus a sound improvement!!! That’s why I used one as well! It’s built nice and very flexible in providing just what you need…I like their voltage supply cables also. My unit runs warm 90-100 degrees F but I never shut it off. It powers my MAC Mini @ 12VDC and my DDC bridge @5VDC!

Cheers!

1 Like

IFI’s response to the request:

Hi Vad ,
We would recommend the new 15v iPower Elite for use with the Roon Nucleus. If you connect an External Nas drive it also will sound better with a quieter power supply .Be careful if connecting a external USB hard drive as they may take to much current from the Roon and make the power supply run hotter than normal .

2 Likes

Demand that they prove this before blowing 700 clams on two of these things (one for your NUC/leus, one for your NAS).

Until they do, refuse to give those people money.

Did Roon themselves ever bring out their Linear Power Supply? …its mentioned as being on its way in a number of reviews of the Nucleus, which is something I’m considering moving to from my Mac mini based solution. Maybe I missed an update on it.

1 Like

No, I would assume because no one has been able to demonstrate any differences at output. Don’t forget that RoonLabs aren’t two-bit crooks…

2 Likes

Thats interesting. I’d have assumed that they recognised the stated benefits to start developing/sourcing one. Maybe it never got that far - but there was a release window spoken about - so it clearly got somewhere!

Seems like I misremembered things a bit - see this and that.

You didn’t misremember, you just read between the lines.

4 Likes

Cheap switching PS are notoriously noisy and that noise might find it’s way back into your audio components (preamp, amps, DAC etc) through your mains electrical lines. So depending on the design of your system’s components PSs, you might indirectly benefit from using a linear PS with your Nucleus.

I use SPS 500 (https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/)

but, in these days I prefer to use xiaomi 2000 battery with 45W PD output.

Hi @LarryMagoo

Just like you, I never turn it off, and yes, it does get warm. I will make sure the room stays cool enough during the summer. Eventually, I reduced the Matrix X-PDIF 2 voltage to 5, and the sound got richer.

1 Like

I can highly recommend the HD PLEX 300W LPSU.
https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-300w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

2 Likes

Serhan,

I’m glad you like it. I’m so impressed with it’s versatility and reliability! The SQ improvement is, of course a welcome benefit!

1 Like

I posted in the main forum before finding this…so I figured I’d ask the question again. Can anyone confirm if the NEW model Nucleus (the one Roon advertises currently) is a 60 watt unit or a 90 watt unit? My dealer insists that it uses up to 90 watts, whereas previous Nucleus models used 60 watts. This would affect which LPS I would purchase. I’m considering the Keces P8 dual unit, but that would only be 4 amps or 80 watts. I would have to purchase the single zone P8 which provides more wattage…but doesn’t have the second zone.

The power use will much depend on if you also have an additional SSD internally mounted or also USB drives or a USB powered DAC attached to the NUC/Nucleus(+). All these adding add up to more DC power needed to supply them.

For sure the HDPlex offerings of the 200W/300W units allow for 10A at 19V / 12V which is well more than would be needed. I’m running a Lumin D1 and an EtherREGEN plus and i7-7700 with a 16TB HDD on one HDPlex 200W + a 12V cooling fan running at 7.5V for some air movement in the area. It’s been working fine for several years now.

4 Likes